Narcisse et Echo Tcherepnin on CPO

Started by dhibbard, Thursday 11 June 2020, 00:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

Thank you very much, everyone, for your information and comments.

eschiss1

Oh. Since you'd remarked on the Scriabin and Rachmaninoff recordings as being garbage too, I assumed you'd (JR) auditioned the whole recording over Apple or Amazon music or Spotify or somesuch. Clearly the Scriabin and Rachmaninoff concertos eux-mêmes aren't garbage.

Christopher

There's an aria with orchestra (possibly from an opera?) on this CD https://www.amazon.co.uk/300-Years-Opera-Brussels-Various/dp/B0000589I5 "300 Years Opera in Brussels" - it's called "Oh le calme des nuits d'été".

Joachim Raff

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Wednesday 07 October 2020, 09:08
Quite, I have it too. The CD's sound is perfectly adequate, if not top notch. You shouldn't judge it by the YouTube transfer, which is much degraded compared with the original.
Hmm.. never mentioned YouTube.. There are loads of streaming services which produce high quality audio which is as good as cd quality if not better. I must admit, I used a pair of headphones that basically show any imperfections in audio output. They can really show mediocre recordings for what they are. If you are happy, who am I to criticise?

Joachim Raff

Quote from: eschiss1 on Wednesday 07 October 2020, 13:14
Oh. Since you'd remarked on the Scriabin and Rachmaninoff recordings as being garbage too, I assumed you'd (JR) auditioned the whole recording over Apple or Amazon music or Spotify or somesuch. Clearly the Scriabin and Rachmaninoff concertos eux-mêmes aren't garbage.

Yep garbage. If you want either work there are many alternatives, which are in many of a collectors' library that supersede these performances. My guess you being an avid enthusiast you have them as well. 

Mark Thomas

Quotenever mentioned YouTube
My mistake.

Alan Howe

Nevertheless, the main point here stands: the available recording is a perfectly satisfactory way of exploring the Piano Concerto and there's absolutely no reason to be put off investigating the composer further through listening to it.