News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Moszkowski VC etc

Started by Alan Howe, Sunday 26 July 2020, 11:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

...forthcoming on the Accord label:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/west-side-sinfonietta-moritz-moszkowski/hnum/10236034

Apart from the Violin Concerto, the CD includes the Prelude & Fugue, Op.85 for String Orchestra and Five Spanish Dances, Op.12.

FBerwald

Any recording of this beautiful concerto is always welcome.

Alan Howe

My major concern would be the size of the orchestra...

FBerwald

Till we hear some sound clips, lets hope for the best, although having sampled a few of their performances on youtube I share your trepidation - the sound is more salon like and seems unsuitable for the lush orchestration of Moszkowski. About this piece do we know any historical facts reg, performance, reviews etc. all booklet info on this has been very scant so far

eschiss1

There was even an earlier recording on LP (on Louisville First Edition Records).

There's a violin/piano reduction and some accompanying information @ here for starters. Assenov's book may contain more detailed information. The premiere seems to have been sometime in 1883 with the dedicatee as violinist (no later than November 1883 (edit: erm- right. True, but see below) in Magdeburg, probably earlier since I see a certain claim somewhere that it was in Berlin, but not when?...) Disagreements as to 1882 or 1883 for composition date though...

eschiss1

If it was premiered in Berlin in 1883 as Hyperion's notes say, then it has to have been between January 1 and January 17. It was performed in Leipzig on January 18 1883. (Leipzig Gewandhaus' online archive thing is a bit ambiguous, noting that two conductors and two violinists were present but not which performed which piece in the long concert; it seems very reasonable to assume Sauret and Moszkowski played the roles they did at the earlier premiere and at a few later performances the same year that were reviewed in some contemporary journals, and I assume any written reviews of the Leipzig performance could be consulted to confirm just that...)   (Fleisher has ('from Grove 7, Baker 9, old Fleisher Catalog') composed 1881 but does not provide a premiere date; still, an earlier composition date suggests the possibility of a 1882 premiere, will look into that, hrm). In the event, it wasn't composed 1883 as some sources here and there do have it unless it was finished at the last minute, as happens :) )

(Martin E., you wrote the notes- do you remember when in January the (Berlin) premiere was? Thanks!! It'll be good to add that to the IMSLP page.)

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteThere was even an earlier recording on LP (on Louisville First Edition Records).

I had that LP - and what a joy it was. I remember being unable to buy it in the UK, so I got an American friend to get me a copy and send it over and damn the expense! Days of youthful discovery!

eschiss1

ah, there's a review (1 Feb. 1883 issue, Musikpädagogische Blatter) of the Leipzig performance of January 1883 found in the archive above, referred to apparently as the first performance, here.

Mark Thomas

QuoteI remember being unable to buy it in the UK
There was a wonderful record shop on Dean St in London (was it Henry Stave?) where I bought my copy of that Louisville Orchestra LP, together with quite a few others. The label mostly published recordings of 20th century music, but the Moszkowski was one of its 19th century gems, as was a magical one which coupled Bruch's Second Symphony, then completely unknown, and Julius Rietz's Concert Overture. The shop was a treasure trove of then obscure US labels like Genesis and Vox Turnabout.

eschiss1

Albany First Edition or something or a similar incarnation at a guess.

Martin Eastick

Eric, firstly let me address my apology to you re the first performance of Moszkowski's Op30, which is confirmed as having taken place at the Leipzig Gewandhaus on 18th January 1883, and not in Berlin as incorrectly stated in my notes for the Hyperion release! I cannot however now recall the exact source of my information at that time. There does not seem to be much information to confirm the actual date(s) of composition, but note that Assenov indicates as being sometime in 1882, which would seem most plausible.

I too procured a copy of the Louisville LP at the time of its release from Henry Stave in Dean Street, having already obtained their earlier release of the 3rd Orchestral Suite, which seemed incredible at that time! Obviously it is easy to criticise these perfomances/recordings in retrospect - especially for the substantial cuts in the violin concerto, but at least they gave us adventurous enthusiasts a taste of the "other" Moszkowski and perhaps even set the ball rolling for the exciting developments that are taking place at the moment. After all, who would have imagined that with this new release, there would be now three modern recordings to choose from of this delightful violin concerto!

eschiss1

Agreed re the quality of the concerto, and apologies for being impolite in my confusion in what is a minor matter; as you say, the existence of three modern recordings (and I'm unclear whether Toccata's intended series, if it goes as far as they -want- it to go, all issues of practicality aside etc., is meant to include only orchestra only works (apparently including some arranged ones, but that's fair from a composer who arranged very well) or concertante works as well- in which case three might become four, perhaps- I have no idea, though. If someone publishes a modern typeset full score and parts at a not-exorbitant price - right now I think the score and parts are only for hire/Fleisher things? - it is attractive enough to become more popular still, it seems to me. (It does -not- hurt that the opening is very very memorable...) But I know that my tastes differ widely from those of many others.

FBerwald

The sound clips are up and they sound fine (through my horrible speakers!  ;D )

Alan Howe

I don't think much of the thin-sounding orchestral violins in the first movement excerpt. I'm not sure whether the 'West Side Sinfonietta' is a good enough orchestra here, especially as Thomas Christian's recording features the Bamberg Symphony.