News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Taneyev's Oresteia at Bard

Started by Collrec, Wednesday 13 May 2020, 23:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Collrec

Following the video of Rubinstein's Demon from the 2018 Bard Music Festival, now comes the video of Taneyev's Oresteia from the 2013 Bard Music Festival. Go to<https://americansymphony.org/concerts/online/taneyev>. Also there is an audio of Taneyev's Symphony No. 4. Scroll down after arriving at the above website for the links to each of these performances.

The version of Oresteia conducted by Botstein is uncut and lasts a little over 3 hours. The previous Melodiya CD was slightly abridged and only lasted 2¾ hours. I hope some UC member can download it to our website like was previously done with Rubinstein's Demon.

Revilod

Thanks for that. It's a wonderful opera. Taneyev's reputation for dreary academicism is so undeserved.

eschiss1

Never understood that reputation personally but... anyhow thanks for this.

Ilja

I think we have Harold C. Schonberg's The Lives of the Great Composers to thank for that. The book that set repertory innovation back by a century.

Alan Howe

...and I wonder how much of the unsung repertoire he'd actually heard? The last forty years have, I submit, filled out our picture of musical history in ways that couldn't possibly have been imagined when the book was written. And that picture is still being filled out...

And, yes, I know that Schonberg's book has seen later, expanded editions. But the point is that the standard repertoire should never be set in stone; in an age in which technology would allow for constant revision according to the latest musicological research, surely it is time for alternative texts to be made available online and updated accordingly.

Mark Thomas

Christopher

I'm so sorry to ask this again (I did for the Rubinstein Demon) as well - might anyone be able to make an mp3 out of this? It seems to be beyond my PC's capabilities!

eschiss1

this has been made available online by them I assume, though not inexpensively: Amazon

BerlinExpat

Christopher, I've added 3 mp3 files of Taneyev's Oresteia to the downloads section. One for each act.

Christopher