Goldmark: Symphonic Poems vol.2

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 04 September 2020, 10:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Unfortunately, cpo's booklet notes are extremely variable in quality - not to mention often poorly translated by native Germans. They need to take a look at Martin Anderson's notes at Toccata which are a model of their kind.

adriano

Right, Alan. EvH (who is an excellent musicologist) also comes up with gushy "In eigener Sache" ("in own matter") preambles (like, for example in his notes for the latest Schreker cpo CD) which are of no interest to a reader - and stink a bit of self-presentation.

Alan Howe

It tells me that there's a very weak editorial policy with regard to booklet content and quality.

Gareth Vaughan

Yes. I don't know for sure, of course, but I had a very free hand in what I wrote for the last Holbrooke disk booklet (which was fine by me as I wasn't going to write self-indulgent rubbish). Alas, my German is nowhere near good enough to know whether whoever translated my English text produced something which was accurate or which  German native speakers would have found tolerable.

CelesteCadenza

Quote from: Alan Howe on Thursday 07 January 2021, 12:13
It tells me that there's a very weak editorial policy with regard to booklet content and quality.
Imagine how much further time an adequate editorial/translation policy would add to their release schedule!  ;)

Alan Howe

On the other hand, since the time-gap between recording and release is often already very long, there ought surely to be adequate time to get the booklet notes right.

sdtom

couldn't agree more with Alan and Celeste