Julián Carrillo 2nd symphony from Toccata

Started by Sharkkb8, Monday 05 October 2020, 23:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Now that I've stopped trying to relate the symphony to Wagner, Bruckner and Rachmaninov and started putting it into a Straussian context (Don Quixote, Alpine Symphony, etc) the music makes more sense. Not sure yet whether I like that third movement, but who knows...

eschiss1

terry martyn

After reading today´s review in Musicweb, I am again trying to come to terms with the work.  I am not a musicologist but I wonder whether his 1957 revisions concentrated mainly on that totally out of place Scherzo.  At times, one of the themes in the opening movement, which I prefer, reminded me of something from Auber or Flotow. I have now moved on to humming Martha...........

terry martyn

I broke my promise to myself, and bought the CD.  Where should I start? Jimmy Durante,  ´the patron of the arts´,would have found it ´stupendious´. Gottschalk on the road to Damascene Gliere.........  Swooningly over the top at times, this is music dedicated to Porfirio Diaz, who was not incapable of being overblown himself. My cockatiel took fright and flew to his cage.

Alan Howe

It's buried somewhere in my study, probably never to be unearthed again.

Mark Thomas

On repeated hearings (not too many), I've grown to quite enjoy it's over-the-top-ness - even the Scherzo, which I initially felt to belong to a later era stylistically. A Latin Khachaturian comes to mind....

Alan Howe

I'll have to un-bury it and give it another listen...

Mark Thomas

Don't put that disinterment at the top of your list, though  ;)

eschiss1

Now that what I am briefly calling the New York State blizzard of early February 2021* has removed/postponed some things from/on my schedule, you've reminded me that actually, I have been rather meaning to hear this, in part for some of those reasons.

*hopefully redundantly. There'd better not be a different one of mid-February 2021, yet another of.. who am I kidding? If there is, it's not like I can do anything about it.

I'd say Myaskovsky rather than Khachaturian in the opening bars? (or Prokofiev ca. one of the versions of his 4th symphony :) )... I don't know.

Mark Thomas

I wasn't serious, Eric. Just a reference to the rather unrestrained, overblown character of Carillo's symphony.