Emilie Mayer cello sonata

Started by eschiss1, Friday 05 February 2021, 17:12

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

SWR's musikstück der woche (podcast - worth subscribing to...) is Mayer's cello sonata in D minor op.38 played by Janina Ruh and Boris Kuznetzov back in July 2020.

Mark Thomas

Thanks Eric. A future cpo release, I wonder?

eschiss1

Possibly; I've noticed that releases available over "SWR2" (which may be an online-only label, and is one of the labels that is available via Naxos Music Library, which it seems from the page description this podcast broadcast may also be) seem to be about the same as some releases/recordings available over cpo, for the obvious reasons (coproductions by cpo/SWR...)

(I see that Mayer's sonata Op.47 has been recorded, but maybe not this one before, so if this will be a world premiere recording, nice...)

Mark Thomas

QuoteMayer's sonata Op.47 has been recorded
You mean this recording on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFl2BguegQ4 ?  It's of the D major Sonata Op.47, whereas the SWR recording (which is downloadable as an mp3 from the link in Eric's original post, btw) is of the D minor Sonata Op.38. It's very good to have the opportunity to hear more of Mayer's music, and I see that Wikipedia lists twelve cello sonatas altogether, so there are plenty more to look forward to.

eschiss1

Yes, that may be the same as the FSM recording from the 1990s I saw on Worldcat (of op.47.)

Mark Thomas

It's a recording of a German radio broadcast, but here's the original CD, which unfortunately I can't find available anywhere. Both cello sonatas are as fine as you'd expect form Mayer IMHO.

eschiss1

I don't doubt it. Maybe I'll make catching up on her music some of my "playlist" for today- thanks.