Francis Purcell Warren 1895 - 1916

Started by giles.enders, Wednesday 23 December 2020, 11:31

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Francis Purcell Warren  Born 29.5.1895 Leamington Spa  -   Died 3.7.1916 Somme

Francis was the son of a music professor. He studied music at the Royal College of Music, London. According to Thomas Dunhill; " he showed brilliant promise as a composer".

Orchestra

Canon for string orchestra

Chamber

Variations on an original theme for string quartet in A minor. pub. by Cramer
Five short pieces for cello and piano;- An absent one. A little Cradle song. Whims. So Seems in my deep regret. A Sunday Evening in Autumn.  pub. by Goodwin and Tabb 1914
Adagio for cello and piano – this, his last work is described in Cobbett's as "a powerful and deeply moving piece, in which an almost prophetic foreboding seems to colour the spacious phrases". It was intended to be a sonata but left incomplete.

Piano

Caprice

Song

Song for baritone and orchestra

Nine songs for voice and piano

Ave Verum Corpus
Benediction Service  1912

Father - Walter James Warren  1.5.1862 – 11.1.1947
Mother – Kezia Olga Franklin  16.8.1868 – 25.1.1944
Brother – Dennis Franklin Warren  21.9.1897 – 8.11.1960

eschiss1

The variations (in A major, not minor, unless you're talking about another set I'm unaware of- this one was published by J.B. Cramer posthumously in 1927, and reprinted by MPH in 2019**) (but composed in 1914, according to one biography?) can be heard and the parts skimmed here (maybe someone - me? - should prepare a score (well, ok, given that I'm in the US, not for 3 years*)...) - IMSLP. Thanks Matesic for the recording (and KGill for the parts, from Merton Music.)

*Assuming that the work -is- in copyright in the US; renewal bears looking into...
**Reprint by MPH (Musikproduktion Höflich of Munich) does not basically -imply- out of copyright, unlike reprints by some other organizations; MPH states on their site that they enter into agreements with publishers so that they can legally reprint copyrighted works.

eschiss1

The Benediction Service can apparently be downloaded via the British Library online, I gather.

matesic

I gather Francis Warren's name appears on the Thiepval Memorial arch that commemorates more than 72,000 soldiers who died at the battle of the Somme and have no known grave. I visited the site but unfortunately failed to locate the name.