Bantock – Pagan Symphony (live recording), Argovia Philharmonic, Douglas Bostock

Started by Wheesht, Friday 01 January 2021, 11:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

A rare opportunity, not just for Switzerland where this was recorded on 28 September 2018, to hear and see a live performance of Bantock's Pagan Symphony played by the Argovia Philharmonic conducted by Douglas Bostock. The recording is also available on a Coviello SACD together with Parry's Symphonic Variations.

Alan Howe

Wheesht

I didn't make a detailed comparison. I still cherish the Hyperion CD, and I am equally happy that I was able to attend one of the concerts in which Bostock conducted the Pagan Symphony and so to have the live experience.

Gareth Vaughan

I think it is very encouraging that the Pagan Symphony has received a public performance. How often do we get to hear anything by Bantock in the concert hall, let alone a major work like this?

Alan Howe

That's true, of course. The question for me, though, was whether I would invest in the recording when I already have the superlative Handley with, most probably, a superior orchestra...

Gareth Vaughan

Oh, yes, agreed, Alan, as to the recording. I suspect the Hyperion disk will likely be superior. I already have it and don't intend to buy the new one.

Wheesht

I haven't bought the new CD, but since it is a SACD and i can now listen to these on my new player and because I don't have a recording of the Parry yet, I may be tempted to get it. I agree as to the orchestra, but it has to be said that the Argovia Philharmonic became rather good during Bostock's 18 years as chief conductor.