Voříšek/Wranitzky/Beethoven/Reicha: Beethoven's World vol.5

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 01 January 2021, 12:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

Apologies for hasty posting without proper checking first. I didn't realise Šotlova's work was also published in English.

Gareth Vaughan

Her name is Sotolova actually and a second hand copy of her catalogue is listed on amazon.co.uk for £152. However, I daresay it can be consulted in libraries.

Wheesht

The name is misspelt Šotlova instead of Šotolová in my local university library catalogue, with the second 'o' being omitted, it can only be consulted on site in Basel.

Gareth Vaughan

I imagine there are very few copies (if any) available from lending libraries. In the UK there are copies of the translation by Deryck Viney (1990) listed in the British Library, the National Library of Scotland, the University of Cambridge Library, University of Nottingham Library, University of Birmingham Library and the Royal College of Music. Additionally, copies of the original publication in Czech (1977) are listed in British Library, University of Cambridge and University of Oxford (Bodleian).

TerraEpon

How odd. I got it through Interlibrary Loan here in the US with no issue, though as mentioned it's all in Czech which for sure made it hard to parse sometimes.

Alan Howe

My only concern would be that it's over 40 years old and very likely hugely behind the curve in terms of up-to-date knowledge of Reicha's oeuvre. Still, a good starting-point, no doubt.

Alan Howe

The CD turns out to be well up to the standard of the previous releases in the series. The first item, the opening movement of a Violin Concerto in C by Beethoven, completed in 1879 by J.Hellmesberger (ed. Joseph Mayseder), is a lovely find and surely worth an occasional outing in the concert hall. It's an expansive 15:40 in length. There then follows the Concerto in C for 2 Violas by Anton Wranicky, dating from 1805, an astonishingly vital and powerful piece approx. 26½ mins in length, clearly reminiscent of Mozart, but equally clearly able to stand on its own merits.

More when I've listened to the remaining two items...

Oh, and the orchestral contribution is superlative - if only all HIP recordings were as strong and full-sounding as this. Excellent soloists too. Bravo, Reinhard Goebel!

joelingaard

Alan Howe

Reicha's Solo de Cor Alto in G for Horn and Orchestra of 1823 is 9:49 of gorgeous entertainment: it's hard to imagine horn players passing this piece by when their repertoire is so lean. I'm tempted to say that, although this is a relatively slight work, it reveals Reicha as perhaps closer to master-composer status than any of his colleagues featured on this or any of the other CDs in the series. What makes him so fascinating is his quirky resourcefulness and inventive spirit. And boy, is this work a virtuoso piece!

And then there's Voříšek's substantial (15:13) Grand Rondeau Concertant for Piano, Violin, Cello and Orchestra, Op.25, composed in 1820), of which more later...

Alan Howe

...and it's the Voříšek which, I guess, the majority of purchasers of this CD will appreciate most. In a way, though, it's a bit unfair, as he's essentially a composer of the next generation. Nevertheless, this is a most winning and generous work - 15:13 of lovely interplay between the three soloists, alternating passages of scintillating brilliance with more reflective lyrical sections. Once again the standard of playing is of a very high level, with supreme virtuosity from the soloists and powerful support from the quite brilliant Munich Radio Orchestra under Goebel.

All I'd say, though, is that the finale of Beethoven's Triple Concerto is more memorable. Voříšek was a great loss at 34; who knows what he may have become? But Beethoven remains the titan of his age - although I suspect that we urgently need to hear more Reicha before we come to firm conclusion about his standing...

terry martyn

My copy arrived this lunchtime and I agree with every word that Alan has written. I am impressed by the quality of the orchestra and the thought that has gone into such a well-balanced programme  Probably the best of an extremely worthwhile series and I´m glad to have purchased it.

semloh

TerraEpon

Finally getting around to listening to this. Never heard of Wranitzky but this double viola concerto is utterly wonderful.

eschiss1

... Which Wranitzky is on the recording? There are two significant composer brothers of that surname (Pavel & Anton). (Sometimes spelled Vranicky and otherwise.)

semloh

This is Antonin Wranitzky (Vranicky) - Concerto  in C major for Two Violas & Orchestra.