News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Michał Bergson

Started by markniew, Monday 09 November 2020, 18:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

terry martyn

It seems to be cheaper from amazon.de, although I´d prefer not to pay so much. I think I might wait until a price is quoted for the CD on presto and on jpc, but, if I have to, I will buy it from amazon.de.

dhibbard

Yes Alan.... the Music libraries are full of orchestral scores of E European composers whose works have yet to be recorded....I've seen them.

Alan Howe

Perhaps you could name, say, your top five such compositions and start a new thread on them?

terry martyn

Amazon.co.uk have slashed the price and it´s worth getting from them now. By contrast, amazon.de has suddenly become prohibitive.

terry martyn

In the end, I ordered through amazon.de the CD, with the seller being Clic Musique.  That was last Saturday and the price, including shipping, was 18.50 euros. This afternoon,it arrived and I will be giving it a tryout tomorrow. They have certainly taken trouble with the accompanying booklet. 

terry martyn

I decided to do a little experiment and listen to the underrated Goetz First and follow it immediately with my first hearing of the Bergson .Both concertos date to the 1860s and both deserve more than the one recording they have had. But the styles are very contrasting. Goetz obviously knows his Weber and Schumann, and the work is more like a concert-piece ,to my mind.  But it is a work that grows on you on repeated hearing and I actually prefer it to his later concerto, good as that is.  The Bergson sounds very different, more in the mould of Litolff and Mendelssohn I think. Surprisingly for a Polish composer, I found the second movement to be the one that kept my attention the least, but I can remedy that by further playings. The finale is a real winner and played in a leonine way by Plowright.

eschiss1

Goetz: I thought there were two recordings of the 1861 concerto.

terry martyn

Mea culpa!   You are right,of course.  I was forgetting about the Naxos.

Alan Howe

Finally, the CD is available from Amazon (UK) - and Presto (see above for links).