News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Catoire Mtsyri

Started by Christopher, Tuesday 02 February 2021, 12:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

Quote from: Theodore S. on Sunday 07 January 2024, 06:35Good evening everyone, I hope it's not too late to add to this post (almost 2 years after the last comment), but I have something I think relates to the post.

I found a copyist's manuscript of the 2-piano arrangement of Georgy Catoire's Symphonic Poem "Mtsyri", Op. 13: https://glinka-iss.kamiscloud.ru/entity/OBJECT/75373?query=%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%82%D1%83%D0%B0%D1%80&index=7. The score comes from the online archive of the Glinka Museum in Moscow (aka the Russian State Museum of Music named after Glinka), which has a lot of great manuscripts, including those by Rachmaninoff (though most of those are hidden). I figured I'd leave a comment with the score since I saw user eschiss1 mentioned how the scores location is mysterious:

Quote from: eschiss1 on Friday 12 February 2021, 02:34Not sure where a score of Mtsyri even is. The symphony at least is at Russian State Library - 213 pp.

I might make a new post with some of the manuscripts I've saved in an account on that archive, if it's all right with the admins. Anyways, Happy New Year everyone!

Thank you Theodore and welcome!  Kondrashev and the Radio Orfei Orchestra also recorded Catoire's cantata "Rusalka" at the same time.  Unfortunately, though, it seems that it hasn't been released.  Might you have any idea of how to obtain it?!

Theodore S.

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Sunday 07 January 2024, 07:23Interesting news, and welcome Theodore.

Quote from: Christopher on Sunday 07 January 2024, 23:29Thank you Theodore and welcome!  Kondrashev and the Radio Orfei Orchestra also recorded Catoire's cantata "Rusalka" at the same time.  Unfortunately, though, it seems that it hasn't been released.  Might you have any idea of how to obtain it?!

Thank you both for your warm welcoming! Unfortunately, I don't currently know where to find a recording of Catoire's cantata "Rusalka"; the only piece by Catoire with "rusalka" in the name that seems to have been recorded so far (online anyway) is the song "Pesna Rusalki" for voice and piano. Actually, until yesterday, I wasn't even aware that the symphonic poem "Mtsyri" had a complete recording, though I'm glad one has been made and located (if only I could download it, though...). Perhaps the best thing is to keep an eye on Kondrashev and the Radio Orfei orchestra like before, they still might make the recording after all. But who knows, it's possible there is a Soviet vinyl with the cantata recorded on it, though I'm not aware of its existence...

eschiss1

Thanks!! Well, until a score turns up, a reduction is far better than the nothing I knew of, and might point to the location of a score if one still exists. (Not that I even have access to a performing ensemble if one does- I'm just curious, unfortunately- though hopefully someone reading this would be interested enough and able to organize a performance if they were intrigued enough.)

Christopher

Quote from: Theodore S. on Monday 08 January 2024, 00:05
Quote from: Mark Thomas on Sunday 07 January 2024, 07:23Interesting news, and welcome Theodore.

Quote from: Christopher on Sunday 07 January 2024, 23:29Thank you Theodore and welcome!  Kondrashev and the Radio Orfei Orchestra also recorded Catoire's cantata "Rusalka" at the same time.  Unfortunately, though, it seems that it hasn't been released.  Might you have any idea of how to obtain it?!

Thank you both for your warm welcoming! Unfortunately, I don't currently know where to find a recording of Catoire's cantata "Rusalka"; the only piece by Catoire with "rusalka" in the name that seems to have been recorded so far (online anyway) is the song "Pesna Rusalki" for voice and piano. Actually, until yesterday, I wasn't even aware that the symphonic poem "Mtsyri" had a complete recording, though I'm glad one has been made and located (if only I could download it, though...). Perhaps the best thing is to keep an eye on Kondrashev and the Radio Orfei orchestra like before, they still might make the recording after all. But who knows, it's possible there is a Soviet vinyl with the cantata recorded on it, though I'm not aware of its existence...

Hi Theodore - I could have sworn I had previously put the recording of Mtsyri in our downloads section.  But it seems I hadn't, anyway it's there now.  Enjoy! 

Re Rusalka - yes the song for voice and piano that you mention is a different work of about 3 minutes in duration, and available on youtube with at least 2 recordings - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TYuWc-5YJQ and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLKYLCUlTVQ - whereas the cantata is for women's chorus and full orchestra and presumably rather longer. I'd love to get that 2020 Kondrashev recording!

Theodore S.

Quote from: Christopher on Monday 08 January 2024, 13:56Catoire, Georgy Lvovich (1861-1926)

Mtsyri - symphonic poem after Lermontov

Orpheus Radio Symphony Orchestra,
Sergei Kondrashev

rec 2020

As streamed on https://orchestra.orpheusradio.ru/audio/en

https://www.mediafire.com/file/76zqht24inf7k8r/Symphonic_poem_Mtsyri_-_complete.mp3/file

Thank you so much for doing this, I really appreciate it! "Mtsyri" is a great piece, I hope eventually it will be come more well-known.