Eduard Franck Piano Concertos 1 & 2

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 12 February 2021, 10:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

What good (and unexpected) news! Unless I've missed them, the concertos haven't been recorded before.

Alan Howe

Yes, I racked my brain (such as it is) and couldn't remember a previous recording either.

No.1 in D minor Op.13 was (first?) performed by the composer in Berlin on 30th November 1846. No.2 is in C and dates from 1879 - it has no opus no. and has been recorded here using a score produced from the manuscript and a piano reduction.

Martin Eastick

No, these concertos have not been recorded before! CPO have certainly done us proud with this month's new releases, what with this, and the 2+ Woelfl concerti - as well as another version of Rubinstein No2!. This, however, would be the pick of the crop, IMHO!

eschiss1

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Well, no, I mean the Op.13 certainly was published (by Guttentag, dedicated to Clara Schumann) by January 1850. Sleuthing already completed on this point sometime back. This much I know already, and is on the IMSLP list of works by Eduard Franck. See HMB, January 1850.

It's conceivable that it was also completed in January 1850 too. Since the statement above was that it was composed in 1850, that was my query.

(As also noted on the aforementioned worklist, there is a newly typeset edition of the D minor concerto Op.13 in score that was published not long ago, that can be browsed @ issuu.com, that was published by Breitkopf.)

Edit: all solved now abufe I see!

Gareth Vaughan

Breitkopf produced a typeset score and parts of the 2nd concerto for this recording, I believe.

pianoconcerto

In the preface to the score of Concerto 1 prepared by James Tocco back in 2012, note is made that the work was performed by the composer already on 30 Nov. 1846, in Berlin.

Alan Howe

Aha! Very interesting. I'll make the necessary correction - see above.

joelingaard

Quote from: pianoconcerto on Friday 12 February 2021, 19:28
In the preface to the score of Concerto 1 prepared by James Tocco back in 2012, note is made that the work was performed by the composer already on 30 Nov. 1846, in Berlin.

Dear friend, thankyou for your proper research-finding.

:)

4candles

Very pleased to hear this - this Franck is criminally underrepresented in recordings, which is a real pity as his works seem to be very fine.

hyperdanny

before giving it a try I will wait to hear what you guys think about it, since with E. Franck the jury is still out for me: I have the Audite cd's and, despite very good performances and orchestra, I stubbornly find the music unmemorable and emotionally pallid...

eschiss1

The work of his I like best fwiw is the E-flat string quartet- don't yet know the concertos.

Alan Howe

His two violin concertos can be found on YouTube.