Nowowiejski Overtures and Dobrzynski Symphony no.2

Started by eschiss1, Sunday 14 March 2021, 06:50

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

is this a reissue or the first commercial release of some recordings some of which may have had non-commercial release - this does look familiar...? The performers here are Grzegorz Novak and the Sinfonia Varsovia. The label is the Chopin Institute (whose website contains excellently detailed information about the composer's music, first publications, etc.)

Alan Howe

The same performers can be heard in the Symphony here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JMEMe6lnfw

I think these are previously unreleased recordings.

Gareth Vaughan

I wish someone would come up with a commercial recording of Dobrzynski's FIRST symphony, Op. 11, in B flat major (1829).
It can be heard here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKwsIgoLNwk&t=100s and strikes me as a good piece. The Rondo polacca for piano & orchestra, for which a set of parts is held by the BL, has likewise never been recorded (in its orchestral version) - it is an obvious coupling for the piano concerto, which has enjoyed more than one recording.

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

That goes for me too, but in the meantime thanks, Gareth, for the YouTube link to the First Symphony, which I haven't heard before and would be a very worthwhile addition to the recorded repertoire.

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

Thanks, Alan. Don't know how I came to miss that.

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

I did a separate search of the Downloads board. I also remembered that I had transferred it to CD.

Oh, and by the way, it's a magnificent-sounding recording of a very beautifully played performance under that fine conductor, Jan Krenz who died last September aged 94. If only someone could acquire the necessary permission to release it commercially...

semloh

Symphony No.2 was included in a 2 CD set of Dobrzynski's orchestral works, released by Chandos in 2013. I can't understand why they never issued a recording of the first symphony. But still, the version from our Downloads pages is excellent.

Martin Eastick

The Jan Krenz performance of Dobrzynski's symphony No1 WAS included on a double CD set issued by Polskie Radio SA in 2006, with a catalogue number PRCD 891-892. For those interested, one CD is all Mozart, consisting of symphonies 35,40 & 41; the other, apart from the Dobrzynski, includes a symphony in D major by Wojciech Dankowski (c.1760 - after 1800), and the Sinfonia concertante for oboe and orchestra by Antoni Milwid (1755-1837) - which although perhaps a little early for this forum, is nevertheless an attractive work!

I have always found it rather difficult to obtain these Polskie Radio CD's, but now and again the odd one turns up on Ebay, where I managed to find my copy a couple of years ago!

Alan Howe

Aha - well sleuthed, Martin! That explains the quality of the recording.