Raff Sinfonietta/Schreck Nonet/Jadassohn Sinfonietta

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 21 July 2022, 10:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Terrific! The only commercial recording now available of Raff's Sinfonietta dates from 1981 and is on an ancient Tudor CD coupled with the 11th Symphony, so a replacement is badly needed. The Jadassohn seems to be a recording premiere. Is the Schreck a different version of the Nonet for wind and strings available in our Downloads Board here I wonder? I see the one on the CD is his Op.40, the score for which is at IMSLP as a wind-only Nonet.

Alan Howe

Yes, very good news indeed - and a terrific CD all-round, I'd say.

Gareth Vaughan

As as far as I can make out the Jadassohn is actually a Suite that exists in 3 different versions: 1. for piano; 2 for violin and piano (I think... could be wrong), and 3. for wind decet. Interesting. I can't answer Mark's question about the Schreck, alas.

TerraEpon

Hmmm, still waiting on this one, had the YT video bookmarked since this post.. But I suppose given it's CPO it's not surprising it's not out yet.

eschiss1

Hope their notes have a lot of information about that composer and his works, about whom I think I've turned up very little...

eschiss1

The nonet op.40, skimming the parts @ IMSLP, is in E: after its first movement's slow introduction in E minor, a theme in E major follows immediately. The nonet for winds and strings, after its slow introduction pauses, follows with a theme in minor (though it turns quickly to major- but the theme is definitely different, as the whole piece up to that point has been.) Not the same work!

eschiss1

btw Schreck was (along with an ensemble he directed) the dedicatee of Reger's Geistliche Gesänge op.110.