News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Peter Crossley-Holland

Started by Syrelius, Wednesday 22 December 2010, 13:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Syrelius

Has anyone on this Forum heard the Dutton recording of Peter Crossley-Holland's symphony in d-major? From the excerpts available on jpc.de it sounds as if the symphony is written in a traditional romantic idiom. Is that observation correct and what about the quality of the music?

petershott@btinternet.com

I found it interesting (and I don't at all mean that in any disparaging way!). Crossley-Holland started off as a pupil of Ireland, but his music didn't much go down the expected route of 'English pastoralism' - though the latter is certainly an ingredient in it. He spent a substantial part of his long life (1916-2001) around the world developing an established reputation as an ethnomusicologist, especially in Indian music. So that gives a little of a 'Foulds ingredient' - though without the latter's ability to dazzle. You can read him - with real profit - in a long survey of 'Non-Western Music' in the Pelican History of Music, and in an entry in Grove on Tibetan Music. For one period he also worked in an administrative position within the BBC Music Dept where he seems to have been warmly regarded. He spent the last part of his life in Wales - and lots of Celtic touches here (mists, mountains, visions, spirits, crags, mysticism and all the rest of the apparatus).

The Symphony? It has 4 movements - and their titles are quite indicative: 'Vision', 'Pilgrimage', 'In the Stream of Life', and 'Offering'. Each of these movements is a recycling of earlier symphonic poems - but none the worse for that and I found the work hangs together well and there is a real progression of musical ideas and argument.

But of course none of this helps you know what the Symphony sounds like. Only one way to find that out! The Dutton recording is well up to their usual high standards, and if the music fails to appeal ultimately then at least the acquisition of the CD will be a small bonus for Dutton, and given Dutton's valued activities, will be a benefit to the world. So go on, order it! You'll also gain some short pieces by Ireland (all orchestrated by others) of various bits of piano, chamber and organ works (including yet another arrangement of the Holy Boy). All worthy stuff.

Not much of Crossley-Holland's music has been recorded - there are some interesting looking early chamber works I'd much like to hear. An absolute little gem is a Trio for recorder, oboe & viola which was included about 10 years ago in a Campion Cameo CD (2026) devoted largely to some of his songs.

Peter

Syrelius

Well, he does sound interesting... I guess there will be one more CD on my already too long must buy-list... ;)

jerfilm

Is there a Dutton outlet here in the Colonies?

John H White

I'm sure you can order any CDs they produce directly from www. duttonvocalion,co,uk  to be delivered to any global location just as I have in the past ordered ordered Don Gillis symphonies directly from that excellent American firm, Albany Records. By the way, Dutton have a lot more tempting music from British unsungs, such as William Hurlstone etc.,so you might end up spending more with them than you bargained for! :)