Henselt/Bronsart Piano Concertos - forthcoming from BIS/Paul Wee

Started by 4candles, Wednesday 05 May 2021, 11:58

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

According to the glowing review in June's Gramophone, this is Thrilling stuff, which will leave you breathless with admiration8)

Mark Thomas

The Bronsart's finale is being played on BBC Radio 3's Record Review as I type: "virtuosic & highly entertaining [...] a fine recording" was the presenter's verdict.

eschiss1

At the risk of grumpiness, mind, I'd like a new recording of Bronsart's piano trio :). There's a terrific piece.

Gareth Vaughan

Hear, hear, Eric. I suggested it to Hyperion as a coupling to the third Litolff trio which Simon Perry told me he was intent on recording with the Leonore Trio, but now that he has sold to Universal who knows if that will take place.

eschiss1

It's possible. More people have access to the earlier recording by streaming now (Hyperion recordings are now available over Amazon music) and interest may have increased. It's unfortunate, though, that the booklet makes it seem, and reviews parroted the implicit claim, that Litolff only wrote -2- piano trios- which works the other way... :)

Ilja

I spent much of this morning listening to this recording, and it is very, very good. Paul Wee's pianism is a tad more aggressive than Hamelin's more lyrical approach in the Henselt, and I think it suits the piece. Neither is "better" for me, but it's good to have two (slightly) different approaches.
The Swedish Chamber Orchestra sounds full-bodied enough, thankfully, as it does in the Bronsart (which is confusingly listed as "Schellendorf" on Spotify). This is without doubt the best rendition of Bronsart's concerto available for purchase, as it easily beats the lackluster Despax recording on Hyperion. However, I think I still prefer the Triendl over this one, mostly on account of the orchestra.
Also, the recording sounds oddly bass-heavy in the Bronsart, and I sometimes had the impression I could hear feet shuffling and other (remote) artefacts.* A very good recording, and I'm glad to see BIS still releasing such efforts even after their take-over by Apple.

* I tested this with Apple Music, Presto and Spotify, using a Sennheiser Momentum 4 headphones and an Earfün 3 Pro set of earbuds.

Alan Howe

I heard the excerpt on the radio and decided to order the CD despite my reservations about the orchestra. Call me a hypocrite... ;)

John Boyer

Quote from: Ilja on Monday 03 June 2024, 11:20Also, the recording sounds oddly bass-heavy in the Bronsart, and I sometimes had the impression I could hear feet shuffling and other (remote) artefacts.

Perhaps the thumping of the dampers?  Sometimes that carries through. 

Ilja

Quote from: Alan Howe on Monday 03 June 2024, 12:18I heard the excerpt on the radio and decided to order the CD despite my reservations about the orchestra. Call me a hypocrite... ;)
Let's put it this way: when listening to this recording on it's own didn't give me the impression for a moment that the orchestra's sound was somehow too thin. Hearing it next to the Triendl recording, on the other hand...

Mark Thomas

Listening to the two commercial recordings of the Bronsart (Wee and Despax on Hyperion), Wee wins hands down on pianism and sheer verve. It's exciting and passionate, whereas Despax seems much more detached. The aural ambiance of the BIS recording is more immediate too, much more like sitting in the front rows of a concert hall and that's something shared by the radio recording of Oliver Triendl's performance, which has all the vivacity and involvement of Wee's in the first movement and tenderness in the second but lacks Wee's madcap dash in the finale, though he's no slouch (there's only 20 seconds difference in the duration). The orchestra in Triendl's rendition sounds not so much larger as a little more polished, especially so in the slow movement. There's not much to choose between Wee's and Triendl's accounts and we're lucky to have both. I'd be happy with either but, if I had to, I'd join Ilja in choosing Triendl over Wee because his orchestra has a slight edge and I prefer his less breathless finale.

semloh

Those are very helpful comparisons, Ilja and Mark, thank you. My Ponti/Vox recording needs to be relegated to the back shelf and I wasn't sure which to go for, but on balance it'll be Triendl - the Unsung Composers' friend. Then again, I might just get both!  ;D

Alan Howe

Now that I've received my copy of the CD I can hear what BIS have done: to compensate for the sound of a smaller orchestra, the recording volume has been set high for maximum impact. And I must say that the decision is clearly justified. The impact is actually quite startling. So, I take back (almost) everything I originally said, i.e. while still wishing for a fuller sound, especially from the strings.

Nevertheless, a pianistic triumph. Wow-Wee, as it were!

semloh

Alan Howe

Erm thanks, Colin!!!

To be serious, though, this really is a superlative recording. Wee's Henselt (which I'm playing as I type) is simply overwhelming in its virtuosity.

I remember in my youth the following recording being released on CBS (featuring pianist Raymond Lewenthal with the LSO conducted by Charles Mackerras):
https://www.discogs.com/release/5836095-Henselt-Liszt-Lewenthal-With-The-London-Symphony-Orchestra-Conducted-By-Charles-Mackerras-Piano-Conc
A musician friend of mine must have told me about the level of difficulty of the piece, but I don't think I ever bought the LP. I see that it was reissued on CD, so does anyone know Lewenthal's recording? (I'd really like to hear the LSO's contribution to the performance.)