Maliszewski: Symphonies

Started by mikehopf, Friday 21 May 2021, 04:50

Previous topic - Next topic

mikehopf

Coming on Dux label in July a 4-CD set : 4 symphonies plus orchestral works by Maliszewski.

mikehopf

eschiss1

That's terrific news. Thanks.

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

Unfortunately, I can't find any information online anywhere that details the contents of this set. I would like to know what works other than the 4 symphonies are included. Has anyone fared better in their searches than I?

Alan Howe

mikehopf

4 Symphonies plus:

Joyful Overture Op 11
Scherzo & Overture Honouring Schubert
Fairy Tale Op 30
Legend Op 31

Gareth Vaughan

Thank you very much. Where did you find that info.?

Gareth Vaughan

Christopher

We already have the 4th symphony played by that orchestra & conductor here in our Downloads - http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,7794.msg81537.html#msg81537

Symphony No.4 in D major Odrodzonej i odnalezionej Ojczyznie (Reborn & Recovered Homeland) Op.21 (1925)

It was a live concert recording on 11 November 2018, from Polish radio I believe.

Either a pretty awful piece or a pretty awful performance - or both, IMHO IIRC! Unmemorable and lifeless.

Alan Howe

I must confess I found No.4 dreary too. Utterly awful.

Christopher

DUX seem to go in for these box releases whereby you have to buy loads of what you don't want in order to get anything at all.  I already have his Symphonies 1,3 and 4 and the Joyful (or "Festive") Overture - do I really want to buy them again to get the other pieces...?

Alan Howe

I'll be giving this a miss.