Maliszewski: Symphonies

Started by mikehopf, Friday 21 May 2021, 04:50

Previous topic - Next topic

terry martyn

I would like to obtain a recording of his First. Apart from the DUX boxed set,which label is it currently on?

eschiss1

none I know of, just an aircheck.

Christopher

Quote from: terry martyn on Monday 24 May 2021, 18:23
I would like to obtain a recording of his First. Apart from the DUX boxed set,which label is it currently on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4hoWoREtPg - if that helps...

Gareth Vaughan

Wikipedia lists 5 symphonies by Maliszewski. Does anyone know anything about the 5th Symphony? - not that I shall be rushing to look at it if it is anything like the 4th. I would like to hear No. 2 though - and No. 1 is an attractive work.

terry martyn

I knew about the YouTube rendition of the First, but wasn´t sure if it was pirated from an ancient vinyl recording or was a radio performance

eschiss1

Performers in that recording are Łukasz Borowicz and the Polish Radio Symphony, and I'm guessing it's a radio recording (the source given @ Euroclassic Notturno is PLPR, but sometimes that's consistent with a commercial recording being broadcast by a radio station so it's not determinative. Don't know. Yes, the only recent orchestral CD before this is sym.3 & piano concerto on Dutton...)

Mark Thomas

Audio extracts from the new Dux box set available here.

jonah

All works can be heard in full on Spotify

Alan Howe

I changed my mind and ordered the set some weeks ago. Today it turned up - and so far, so good. Symphony No.1 (1902) is a riot of a piece, its style clearly Tchaikovsky/Rimsky-Korsakov/Glazunov plus. By the way, recording and playing are absolutely superb - and there are excellent booklet notes.

Mark Thomas

By coincidence I was listening to his Symphony No.2 in the car this afternoon and enjoyed the first two movements very much - a very strong Glazunov influence I thought. Some of the shorter orchestral works in the set are empty, uninspired fare though, and one mustn't forget that dismal Symphony No.4.

Alan Howe

Yes, no.2 is a fine piece - more confident, I think, than no.1 - but it has an identity problem. This fine music could be by anyone - a bit of Tchaikovsky here, a bit of Glazunov there - but, once one has accepted this, it matters little because the enjoyment factor is so high.

As long as one doesn't expect to remember it afterwards...

Alan Howe

The stylistic development evident in Symphony No.3 is significant. In has come a major dollop of chromatic writing, giving the piece in its climactic moments a new wildness and power. So, how did this come about? Whose music had Maliszewski encountered between 1905 and 1907? Scriabin? Miaskovsky? Szymanowski? Other composers of the Young Poland school such as Grzegorz Fitelberg, Ludomir Różycki, Mieczysław Karłowicz and Apolinary Szeluto?

At all events, this is much more exciting stuff.

Alan Howe

No.4 certainly has its magnificent moments in the Dux set, but it does seem to get bogged down in chromaticism too often for its own good. However, since the advocacy here is so stupendous, with such superb playing and recording, I'll certainly be revisiting this...

eschiss1

I'm not sure what music by Myaskovsky Maliszewski could have encountered - in performance anyway - before 1907, just offhand.

Alan Howe

You're right, Eric. His orchestral music dates from after that period.