News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Symphony wish-list @ IMSLP

Started by Alan Howe, Sunday 21 March 2021, 12:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

The Symphony No,1 in E flat major certainly has, I have the Koch Schwann CD. The performers are the Belgian Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Brian Priestman. It's a very engaging work, and is coupled with a rather less memorable Fantasy for organ and orchestra.

eschiss1

eschiss1

any objection to a reasonable thread, always with links for people to check, but for string and orchestra concertos in full score and/or parts instead?

Alan Howe

No, go ahead, Eric. Suggested thread title: String Concerto score wish-list.

pcc

What about Carl Gottlieb Reissiger's Symphony in E flat, op. 120 (1835)? The manuscript FS is in Berlin, but I think Schlesinger published parts and a four-hand piano arrangement in 1838. All I've heard and played by Reissiger seems to be of very good quality - both chamber and orchestral works. His melodic gift was exceptional, much more lyric than, say, Marschner, and his orchestration is masterful. Most people, if they know him at all, know the overture to his opera Die Felsenmuehle, but I've played in several of his piano trios and conducted a run through of his Yelva overture, which is better than Die Felsenmuehle.  He never disappoints me, at least.

EarlyRomantic

pcc, Ill eagerly second your endorsement of Reissiger. I think Die Felsenmuehle is irresistible. If, to you, the Yelva Overture surpasses it, Im very intrigued. Its fascinating that you have conducted a run-through. I like how you describe him, although I think very highly of Marschner, and enjoy his music just as much. Thanks for  a really worthy nomination.

pcc

Yelva was something of a standard rep piece in the 19th and early 20th century with provincial orchestras; we used the Hawkes & Son "Standard Overtures" edition, which was aimed at theatre and large resort orchestras. You can hear a cut version (but brilliantly performed) by Arthur Pryor's Band on the Discography of American Historical Recordings. Pryor plays the entire introduction, but the Allegro consists of the recap and coda in order to fit it on a 12-inch 78 disc. Pryor conducts very expressively, and infuses the band with a lot of passion (a sure sign is the prominent ultra-low F in the tubas at the beginning and end).

What's evident here, and I've heard it in other Reissiger works, is that his melodic style has more Italianate lyric gestures than some of his contemporaries, and he also uses Italian-style four-note repeated rhythmic patterns. Anyway here's a link to the band version from 1909: https://adp.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/matrix/detail/200008010/C-7049-Yelva_overture

pcc

One other thing about the Reissiger symphony - it's possible that the Staatsbibliothek in Berlin has scanned the manuscript, as I remember seeing its last page somewhere online, maybe on their website. Now to locate the Schlesinger parts - maybe in Vienna?

Alan Howe

Just a quick reminder, if I may: this thread is about making use of scores that are actually available online...

eschiss1

and unfortunately as far as I can tell only the first violin part is available online for the Reissiger (at Polona, now mirrored at IMSLP (not by me). I will admit this is better than nothing, in that it gives a shape to the score, an idea to the set of its themes...). It's possible someone's digitized a reduction somewhere, though I haven't found it, but in the event I haven't found a -full- score or a more complete set of parts already online. (The autograph score, dated 7. Juli. 35, is currently at Staatsbibliothek Berlin, but as yet undigitized. I suggest putting in a digitization request at D-B, and it could join our list...)