Reinecke Piano Trio Op.38 premiere?

Started by eschiss1, Wednesday 21 April 2021, 05:02

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Not a major thing, but an upcoming Naxos recording has what may be the first recording of Reinecke's piano trio Op.38: Naxos 8.573969. Coupled with Beethoven op.56 arranged for piano trio by Reinecke. (The latter is of interest to me too, but then I've been listening to a number of arrangements over NML lately, especially the Beethoven/Liszt, Mozart/Hummel, etc., with an ear to how they work as music that sounds as though written for the "target" ensembles.)

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

This would suggest not:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtfyTDypZ1Y

Wonderful music, by the way! It dates from 1851.

eschiss1

The back cover of the album, anyway, doesn't say what instruments are used, though it does say where the works were performed. (I see the violinist on this album has also participated in a recording of one other rarely-recorded Romantic work- Robert Schumann's piano quartet in C minor.)

Alan Howe

Well, just follow the link I provided - it's to a performance of the Reinecke with the same performers as on the CD, so those interested can judge for themselves...

Alan Howe

The performance is certainly not HIP, although there's not an over-abundance of vibrato in the string-playing (which is exceedingly pure-sounding). In short, I'd say this was ideal for Reinecke's brand of classical romanticism much influenced by Mendelssohn/Schumann, but with a generous melodic impulse all of its own.

This is superb chamber music - ideal for anyone dipping their toe into the genre for the first time. And I guarantee that you won't be able to get that first-movement main theme out of your head!

A 100% recommendable release!