Gustav Jenner Symphonic Fragment

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 19 July 2021, 11:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Given the rest of the programme on the CD, I'd really like to know how long the Jenner fragments are before I commit. There's around 15-17 minutes available on the CD, which I guess would be enough to accommodate the two symphonic movements listed on the back of the CD.

Alan Howe

I've ordered it, so I'll let you know...

eschiss1

Please do. Intriguing. (Unfortunately the only thing I see listed under the conductor Siegfried Heinrich @ Amazon Music is (a compilation containing) a recording I actually have - his Liszt Elisabeth Legend. Which is cut, I think, but otherwise really good.)

Mark Thomas

QuoteI'll let you know
Thanks, Alan - it's a fascinating prospect, though may be juvenilia as I see it's his Op.1..

Alan Howe

The blurb at jpc says that this first recording was made in 1987 by the Polish Radio Symphony Orchestra of Warsaw  conducted by Jan Pruszak (1931-1920), its chief conductor at the time.

The two movements (as per the details at jpc) are:
i.  Adagio in B flat major   
ii. Finale (Scherzo) in B flat minor

The work is referred to here (entry no.17 under Instrumental Music)...
https://www.uni-marburg.de/de/fb09/musikwissenschaft/hessisches-musikarchiv/dateien/kohleick-werkverzeichnis
...as 'Two Movements of an Unfinished Symphony: Adagio – Scherzo (Presto – Moderato), composed Marburg, 1912'.

Jenner's Op.1 comprises Four Songs, pub. Simrock (Berlin) in 1890.

eschiss1

right, his op.1: "No. 1. Nachts: ,,Der Westwind streichelt die Locken". No. 2. Noch einmal: ,,Noch einmal fällt in meinen Schoss". No. 3. Waisenkind: ,,Ich bin eine Rose". No. 4. Sonntag früh: ,,Am frühen Sonntagmorgen""

Mark Thomas

:) Obviously I should have checked my "Op.1" source!

Alan Howe

Not to worry. The fact that this is a mature work makes it intriguing...

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

Track 3 - Scherzo (Presto – Moderato) - begins like an undiscovered movement by Beethoven. It's extremely anachronistic for 1912!

semloh

This is fascinating. Thanks for the links.  :)

Alan Howe

This is far better than I had imagined! It is in essence a mini-symphony, with an unbelievably beautiful solemn Adagio (10:08) followed by a Scherzo/Finale (06:15) which starts like Beethoven (think 5th & 7th Symphonies), but continues in a somewhat 'stomping' Brucknerian fashion before segeuing into a lovely lyrical trio section.

OK - I'm going to say it: the slow movement is a masterpiece of the first rank and the work as a whole could be as popular as Schubert's Unfinished if it were played. I find the two movements deeply satisfying. Yes, it is anachronistic, but frankly - who cares?

The performance is wonderfully played and recorded in a suitably resonant acoustic.

Mark Thomas

That's a a very persuasive review, Alan, what a shame he didn't finish the Symphony. As far as the recording goes, it's not available to download, can't be bought in the UK and I really don't need the couplings, so I'll be giving it a miss.