Petr Eben: Symphonia Gregoriana (Organ Concerto No.1)

Started by febnyc, Thursday 30 December 2010, 17:49

Previous topic - Next topic

febnyc

An initial impression of this 1954 work was a mixed one.  Petr Eben (1929-2007) has written what really is a concertante work for organ with orchestra, the themes of which are based upon the Gregorian choral.  It is in four movements (the first lasting over 26 minutes) with a total expanse of almost an hour.

My usual affinity for organ concertos is based, I guess, on the overwhelming power of the instrument itself.  I think of Franck, Widor and Guilmant, to name three composers whose treatment of the organ as a solo virtuoso part tends to raise the hairs on the back of my neck.  Of course, Saint-SaĆ«ns has to be mentioned here, as well.

But Eben, in this work, takes a different course.  The organ part is more lyrical and subdued.  And since it blends often with the orchestra, there's more balance between the two.  The first three movements are rather moderate in tempo and it is only in the finale that things loosen up a bit.  Then the brass surround the organ and the whole operation becomes a very festive and thrusting chorus of sound.

Anyway, an iconoclastic view of what normally is considered an "organ concerto."  It's certainly entertaining music notwithstanding its being somewhat gentle and restrained.

Any other opinions?

Oehms Classics OC643:  Gunther Rost, organ; Bamberger Symphoniker; Gabriel Feltz, conductor.

Gerhard Griesel

Thanks to febnyk for making us aware of this concerto. I am trying to collect recordings of all romantic organ concertos and even works where the organ is just an orchestral instrument (excluding genres like choral works). For years I have not found anything new to add to my collection of maybe 20 odd CDs.

I had a look at Amazon and saw that the recording is available, although on the expensive side. The Amazon samples are not too promising: the sound level seems to be very low, and from the little bit I could hear I would describe the music as post-romantic.

petershott@btinternet.com

Petr Eben was a distinguished composer whose music, like that of so many others, would be heard far more frequently in a world that gave a proper place to music.

The new Oehms recording of the 1st Organ Concerto (there is a 2nd written in 1980, but not as far as I am aware recorded), although welcome, is not the first. That honour was done by the German company Motette about 10 years ago in a recording of a fine performance by Paul Wisskirchen and the Handel-Festspielorchester / Volker Hempfling (Motette CD40151). Motette also has a series of the organ works - about 5-6 CDs in all - performed by Gunter Rost (who is the organ soloist in the new Oehms CD). There is also a series of Hyperion CDs of the organ works by Halgeir Schrager: I haven't heard these CDs but I recall some positive reviews.

Eben had a wretchedly unenviable life - though he would have been adamant in denying that. He was raised in a close and supportive family, and was musically precocious. He played the cello in a piano trio with his father and brother, and when still a boy was regularly playing the church organ - before his feet could scarcely touch the pedals. Then the Nazis marched into Czechoslovakia. Eben's father was Jewish, and that led to the 14 year old Eben, along with his brother, being taken to Buchenwald. He told a chilling story about how, on their arrival, both boys were taken to the shower block - and by 1943 the knowledge of what happened in concentration camp shower blocks was fairly widespread. To their bewilderment water, and not gas, came out of the pipes, as the two boys stood there clutching each other's hands. He survived the internment in the camp.

After the war the threat to life under the Nazis had lifted. But this did not spell liberation for Eben, for he found himself in a society crushed by the Communists. He picked up a musical career with a number of teaching posts, and then an appointment as lecturer in musical history at Charles University in Prague. Opportunity for the free expression of ideas was denied by the ruling party, promotion and advancement were blocked, and he came to find that it was only in the concept-less language of music that this desired freedom was available. What he especially valued was a Fellowship at the RNCM in the late 1970s. I encountered Eben in person when he was composer in residence for a week in Dartington in 1993, and he delighted his audience by explaining how in so many of his compositions in these Prague years he had embedded church and Gregorian melodies as a way of secretly undermining the authorities. (Throughout his life his Christian faith was prominent). His devotion to humanity, together with his utter modesty and gentleness, deeply impressed all those who were fortunate to encounter him.

There is a wealth of music to investigate - but sadly very little has been recorded apart from the organ works. He sought to compose in all forms of music, but his reputation as a composer and performer of the organ works determined the commissions and performances that came his way and, for good or ill, the reputation that he left when he died a few years ago. (His wife, I believe, survives him). All this music should be performed providing the opportunity to hear it. There is an especially strong Piano Trio recorded by the Florestan Trio on Hyperion (released last summer and c/w works by Smetana and Martinu). I recommend that CD heartily. Some years ago there was a lovely and revealing Supraphon CD of some of the song cycles performed by Dagmar Peckova and Ivan Kusnir. Another CD to put on that wants list. But the majority of his music is unknown to those in the UK, and I guess in most of the rest of the world outside his own country. There is a variety of orchestral works (including a piano concerto from 1961), a string quartet that those who know it write enthusiastically about, a considerable body of choral music, and much piano music. Hence a strong candidate for exposure and discussion on a site devoted to the Unsungs.

Peter

eschiss1

Apparently a recording of the piano concerto was released on Supraphon in 2008 (Ancerl gold edition volume 43.)  The organ concerto no.2 seems to have been recorded by Paul Freeman and Marilyn Mason (with works by Diemer, Sowerby and Bolcom) - on Albany Records in 2004 I think, also available online via DRAM for subscribers.

petershott@btinternet.com

Many thanks for bringing these 2 CDs to my (and our) attention. Much appreciated.

Peter

bachslady16

Eben is one of my heroes (as far as composers go). I love this Concerto and to tell the truth I love everything of his!

JimL

Welcome Bachslady!  Can you (or anyone else) describe Eben's idiom?  Would you liken him to Martinu, Shostakovich, or perhaps something a bit more Romantic?  Does his harmonic palette strike you as particularly spiky, or is it more conservative?