News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Arthur Hinton Piano Quintet

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 14 October 2021, 18:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

kLAMI

This is truly much needed good news!  Four new releases! It's been a long dry spell and let's hope there are many more in the hopper. Already ordered.

semloh

The couplings are unfortunate for those who have purchased the relevant Hyperion discs. Generally speaking, I hate duplicating, but since there are no other recordings available, it comes down to a cost-benefit analysis based on the quality of Hinton's quintet.  ;D  I'll watch this space!

Alan Howe

This a most beautiful late-romantic score, characterised by a passionate sense of yearning. This is no shrinking British violet! I have the feeling that Hinton is a composer well worth a second look.

Friends may want to consult this previous thread:
http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,663.msg8687.html#msg8687

Mark Thomas

Hinton's fine, I agree, but I'm undecided. Like semloh, I already have the couplings and don't need more copies, but Dutton doesn't do digital!

eschiss1

There's some Dutton CDs that are available streaming (and maybe for download) at Amazon (e.g. their recordings of Arnold Bax rare string chamber works, and Holbrooke's quartets), but very very few, it seems. Though I personally am disinclined to get an account specifically at Hyperion's site just for their own downloads/streams, which is what they offer.

eschiss1

There are more Dutton discs than that available through streaming services like Amazon music- maybe the Hinton will turn up there...