Hiller Symphony in E minor, Op.67 'Es muss doch Frühling werden'

Started by mikehopf, Thursday 23 April 2020, 23:18

Previous topic - Next topic

mikehopf

Out in May:

Hiller: Symphony in E minor, Op.67 'Es muss doch Frühling Werden'; Schumann: Symphony No.2 in C major - Transcriptions for Piano (World Premiere Recordings)
Ronald Lau (piano) (Artist), Ludwig van Beethoven (Composer), & 4 more  Format: Audio CD

Sharkkb8

Re Mikehopf's post above....a piano transcription of a symphony might possibly seem at first blush to be fraught with issues, rather like trying to re-work a piano sonata into a symphony (or construct a vest with sleeves), but I suppose an open mind should be kept.  Perhaps this could even be the subject of a new thread, if sufficient interest.  The recording Mikehopf references is on MSR Classics label.

http://www.msrcd.com/catalog/cd/MS1759

"Through the decline of basso continuo and technological advancements to the instrument, the piano became the most accessible and popular instrument in nineteenth-century homes. Arrangements for piano, including reductions, transcriptions and paraphrases, emerged out of necessity as a substantial medium for rehearsals and domestic music appreciation, and as artistic manifestations in themselves. This album includes two symphonic transcriptions produced in keeping with this tradition: Ferdinand Hiller's Symphony in E minor as transcribed by Ronald Lau and Robert Schumann's Symphony No.2 in C major as transcribed by Theodor Kirchner.

The three German composers, Ferdinand Hiller (1811-1885), Robert Schumann (1810-1856) and Theodor Kirchner (1823-1903), were all at the beginning of their careers in the 1830s and 1840s. Today, Hiller is mostly known as the close friend of Felix Mendelssohn and Robert Schumann. Through his correspondence, moments in music history, such as the youthful adventures among Chopin, Liszt and Mendelssohn in Paris, Mendelssohn's depression, Hiller's long silent walk with Schumann and numerous discussions among these composers about their composing and performing process have been made known. Hiller was himself, in fact, an accomplished pianist, composer, acclaimed conductor, and the predecessor and advocate for Schumann taking the positions as the director of Dresden male voice choir Liedertafel in 1847 and director of music of the city of Dusseldorf in 1850. Schumann, by virtue of his unique creativity and assisted by the compelling promotion by Clara Schumann and Johannes Brahms, is now the most recognized and credited composer among them. Kirchner, an organist, composer and transcriber, became acquainted with Schumann through his studies in theory and organ at Nikolai Church in Leipzig in 1838 and the 1843 first class of the Leipzig Conservatory. His passion for Schumann's and Brahms's music led him to become one of the main transcribers of their works."

eschiss1

I think I've heard the first movement of the Hiller symphony and not more.

Mark Thomas

At first I had a thrill of excitement that Hiller's Symphony had been recorded, only to have it more than a little dampened by the realisation that it's in a modern piano reduction. However, that's better than nothing and sound bites are available here. The first movement, in full orchestral garb, can be heard on YouTube here.

eschiss1

Modern? I thought Kirchner was a contemporary of Hiller's and a friend of Brahms. (Perhaps you had the arranger confused with composer Volker David Kirchner (1942-2020 ( :( ) ) some of whose works including a string sextet were recorded a few years ago...)

Mark Thomas

The arranger of the Hiller is the pianist, Ronald Lau - hence "modern". Kirchner arranged the Schumann symphony, which is the coupling.

eschiss1

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteAt first I had a thrill of excitement that Hiller's Symphony had been recorded, only to have it more than a little dampened by the realisation that it's in a modern piano reduction.

I agree. That was my reaction. I can't see much point in this, quite honestly. Unless it inspires some company to record the Symphony in its orchestral majesty. That is not to say, however, that there is no pleasure to be got from piano transcriptions of symphonies: Liszt's transcriptions of Beethoven's symphonies, for example, are wonderful.

eschiss1

On the other hand, a contemporary (with Beethoven) arrangement of his 3rd symphony for mixed nonet was a fascinating part of a Jupiter chamber concert in NYC a year or so back :)

Alan Howe

I decided to buy the CD (from Amazon.com) - and I'm pleased to report that the playing is masterly and that the Hiller comes out really well. Now for a full orchestral recording...