News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Charles Villiers Stanford

Started by albion, Thursday 06 January 2011, 18:56

Previous topic - Next topic

edurban

The pianist in the new recording, Finghin Collins, is the young Irishman who played Stanford 2 at the Proms a few seasons ago.  It was a smashing performance.  Thanks for mentioning this disc...I'll order it ASAP.

David

JimL

Shore 'nuff, I searched it out and found that it was...Chandos.  It just looked like Hyperion when I closed my eyes. ;D

Peter1953

I've spent this cloudy Sunday listening and (re)discovering Stanford. I don't know what went wrong in the past, but I found his PC1 never appealing. Until today. And next I've given the Chandos double disc another listen. What a most lovely works, especially the 6 Irish Rhapsodies. But that's all I have.

It's about time to explore Stanford. To start with I'm thinking of the Lyrita CD featuring the PC3 and CC, the VC and his symphonies. Which version do you recommend? Naxos or Chandos? Any other recommendations?

albion

Quote from: Peter1953 on Sunday 06 November 2011, 13:58It's about time to explore Stanford. To start with I'm thinking of the Lyrita CD featuring the PC3 and CC, the VC and his symphonies. Which version do you recommend? Naxos or Chandos? Any other recommendations?

I would strongly recommend all of the following (with a few overlaps of repertoire) -

Symphonies 1-7 and Clarinet Concerto - Naxos rather than Chandos
Irish Rhapsodies 1-6 and Variations on Down Among the Deadmen - Chandos
Piano Concerto No.1 - Hyperion
Piano Concerto No.2 and Irish Rhapsody No.4 - Lyrita
Piano Concerto No.3 - Lyrita
Violin Concerto and Suite for Violin and Orchestra - Hyperion
Cello Concerto and Ballata and Ballabile - Hyperion
Requiem - Naxos
Stabat mater - Chandos
The Revenge, Songs of the Sea and Songs of the Fleet - Chandos
String Quintet No.1 and Piano Quintet - Hyperion

:)

Peter1953

Thanks very much for your useful recommendations, John. I've just finished my shopping at mdt.co.uk

edurban

My favorite Stanford Pf Concerto 2/Down Among the Dead Men recording is Finghin Collins on Claves.  A wonderful performance, and the recording has a clarity that does justice to S's sometimes thick scoring.  To my mind, the 2nd concerto is the most completely successful of Stanford's works w/orchestra.  It's criminal that almost no one plays it.

I seem to remember that Vaughn Williams once predicted that the Stabat Mater would survive the eclipse of Stanford's reputation, and it's also a wonderful piece.  Better, more consistant, IMO, than the big Requiem (which also contains much fine music.)  But I'd start with the Chandos Stabat Mater disc.

David

albion

Quote from: Peter1953 on Sunday 06 November 2011, 15:53I've just finished my shopping at mdt.co.uk

I'm setting up a UC commune down on

:'(

All are welcome!

;D

FBerwald

What about the Piano Concerto No "0". The 1st one he ever composed. I hope the manuscript survives!

albion

Quote from: FBerwald on Monday 07 November 2011, 17:16What about the Piano Concerto No "0". The 1st one he ever composed. I hope the manuscript survives!

According to Jeremy Dibble, the manuscript is at the Newcastle University Robinson Library -

Piano Concerto in B flat major
dedicated to Raoul de Versan
completed 11th January 1873
first performed Cambridge 3rd June 1874 by F.G. le P. McClintock, conducted by Stanford

Paul Rodmell gives the call number as NUL78

eschiss1

and except for the fact that the Victoria Institute's transactions lists this person as "FG Le P. McClintock, AB, Ireland", I have not a clue who that could be, and which initials might be title and which given name ;)

britishcomposer

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 07 November 2011, 22:02
and except for the fact that the Victoria Institute's transactions lists this person as "FG Le P. McClintock, AB, Ireland", I have not a clue who that could be, and which initials might be title and which given name ;)

Rodmell mentions twice one Frank McClintock, a friend of CVS with whom he travelled through Europe in 1874 and who performed Beethoven's C minor PC with Stanford conducting. Maybe the same?  :-\

albion

Quote from: britishcomposer on Monday 07 November 2011, 22:27Rodmell mentions twice one Frank McClintock, a friend of CVS with whom he travelled through Europe in 1874 and who performed Beethoven's C minor PC with Stanford conducting. Maybe the same?  :-\

Surely no coincidence - most likely the same.

FBerwald

So there could be a possibility of this work being recorded??!!??

britishcomposer

The Newsletter of The Classical Shop has this stunning news:

New Stanford orchestration

A new orchestration of Violin Concerto No. 2 by Sir Charles Villiers Stanford, a work which the composer left in a version for violin and piano at his death, has been completed by Jeremy Dibble.

albion