News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Straesser

Started by eschiss1, Wednesday 12 January 2011, 17:32

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

a string quartet (no.1, in E minor from 1901, of at least 4) by Ewald Straesser (1867-1933) has been uploaded in parts and now recording (by Steve's Bedroom Band) to IMSLP; also, 2 posthumously-published Intermezzos for string trio by Charles HH Parry, a more familiar name I suspect.

Straesser op.12 no.1.

Parry Intermezzi.

(He - no, I am not a sockpuppet truly, just an interested listener, though I did upload the parts of the Straesser, true, in late 2009 when I found them on Sibley (and, more recently, the score of Straesser's 4th quartet of 1920, in the same key) - also awhile ago uploaded an early Gouvy quartet - and other works some of which have been mentioned here, some not. Anyway.)
Eric

Mark Thomas

An immediate download for me. Thanks for the information Eric. I have a radio dub of Straesser's First Symphony and it's a very effective and enjoyable piece of early late-romantic work too (if you get me).

eschiss1

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Wednesday 12 January 2011, 19:02
An immediate download for me. Thanks for the information Eric. I have a radio dub of Straesser's First Symphony and it's a very effective and enjoyable piece of early late-romantic work too (if you get me).
After hearing the quartet I certainly do :) Is the symphony the G major op.22 (I think there's also a D minor op.27, 1913)?
Eric

Mark Thomas

It's the Symphony No.2 in D minor op.27 (1913), performed by our old friends the Nordwestdeutsche Philharmonie conducted by Werner Andreas Albert, so we might see it issued by cpo at some stage in the future. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

eschiss1

on the basis of the three works I've seen in score or parts and the one work I've now heard, I might not hold my breath but I look forward to it- good stuff. I'd never heard of this person before late 2009 I do think?... :) Thanks!