News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Arensky on Naxos

Started by sdtom, Thursday 07 May 2009, 18:17

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

Amphissa

Thanks, Thomas, for your summary of this recording. I have recordings of this concerto by Blumenthal, Littauer, and Cherkassov on LP, and by Coombs on CD. So I guess I must like it!

How is the audio of this CD? I've had some decent recordings from Naxos, and some that are outright awful. The Scherbakov/Yablonsky SACD of Rachmaninoff 3 is atrocious. It sounds like it was recorded in a huge empty aquarium - very resonant and muddled audio - basically unlistenable. Which is too bad, because Scherbakov is a pretty good pianist.

sdtom

I found the recording to be fine.  Of course I'm now intrigued to explore the 2nd Symphony and his variations of a Tchaikovsky theme.  How are these?
Thomas :)

sdtom

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/01/13/piano-concerto-in-f-minor-op-2arensky/

This is revised as I got the Coombs recording in addition. Will become a standard piece in my collection.
Thomas

Balapoel

Hi SDTom,
I have almost all of Arensky's orchestral and chamber music on CD - and he is definitely one I return to. I heartily recommend the variations, op. 35a (orchestration of a movement from his String Quartet No. 2 in a minor).  Other highlights - both piano trios (op. 32, 73), and his Fantasia op. 48 for piano and orchestra. Both symphonies are enjoyable - firmly in the 19th century Russian vein (somewhat between the Tchaikovsky, Taneyev crowd and the Borodin-Glazunov crowd).
Cheers,
Balapoel