Scholz, Bernhard – Symphony No 2 (1896)

Started by Reverie, Thursday 23 June 2022, 19:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Reverie

Scholz's op.80 was composed some 13 years after his first symphony. The sound world seems markedly  different. The textures are not as rich and the writing is more astringent in places. However it is a joyful, optimistic work lasting about 30 minutes.

Do make an effort to listen to the adagio at the start of the 4th movement (at 22 mins) It's some of the most beautiful orchestral writing based on the interval of a falling 5th.

1. Allegro deciso
2. Andante
3. Allegro scherzando
4. Adagio - Allegro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcU4nTXFZOQ

Alan Howe

I haven't yet listened to the whole symphony, but what I have heard is right up my alley. Thanks once again for such a worthwhile discovery and for all your hard work in bringing it to our attention.

Mark Thomas

I'll add my sincere thanks to Alan's, Martin. Your work really is such a worthwhile endeavour and has unearthed some real gems amongst the symphonic literature. Scholz's First was certainly one and I can hardly wait to listen to his Second. Thanks so very much.

Alan Howe

I'd entirely forgotten to go back to Scholz's fine score- mea culpa. It demonstrates that Brahms' symphonies weren't the final word as far as the late-19th century classical symphony was concerned. I'd say that Scholz, together with Thieriot, are fully worthy of receiving recordings and really ought to be programmed in the concert hall.

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteI'd say that Scholz, together with Thieriot, are fully worthy of receiving recordings and really ought to be programmed in the concert hall.

I wholeheartedly agree, Alan. And will just add my thanks too for allowing us to hear this marvellous symphony.

Alan Howe