Humperdinck Der blaue Vogel

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 06 August 2022, 10:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

TerraEpon

Oooh nice. I'm not at home right now so I can't check, but I feel like there's a excerpt of this on a previous CD.

John Boyer

Does anyone read Maeterlinck anymore?  He's like a Raff of literature: productions of his plays worldwide, Nobel Prize, and then - obscurity.

In fact, how many here read literature like they listen to music, avoiding celebrated writers in favor of forgotten ones?  Instead of Ibsen, Maeterlinck; instead of Shakespeare, Middleton; instead of Dickens, Bulwer-Lytton; instead of Shaw, Pinero; instead of Steinbeck, Nathan?

For the record, I've read Maeterlinck (The Intruder and Peleas et Melisande), Pinero (The Second Mrs. Tanqueray), and Nathan (The Enchanted  Voyage and They Went On Together), and have seen a production of Middleton (The Revengers' Tragedy), but I have yet to tackle Bulwer-Lytton, though I hope to read his Paul Clifford someday.

Alan Howe

That's a fascinating post, John. Perhaps there's a need for a website called 'Unsung Authors'?

eschiss1

Count me in. (Though some of the time involvement on average can be somewhat large.) And of course there are close connections- e.g., Eugène Sue was both an unsung author and a librettist, I believe (or perhaps his works were the basis of opera libretti, rather than his having written them himself; I think there are some other cases, though.)