News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Reinhold, Hugo (1854-1935)

Started by Reverie, Wednesday 14 September 2022, 22:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Reverie

Concert Overture and Intermezzo Scherzoso

An Austrian composer, whose early musical education began as a choir-boy of the court chapel in Vienna and later as a student at the Convervatorium der Musikfreunde until 1874, when he worked with Bruckner, Dessoff and Epstein under the endowment of the Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, and obtained a silver medal. 

His many compositions include mainly pianoforte music and songs. There is however, a small body of orchestral/string music notably a Suite in five movements for strings and pianoforte, and a Prelude, Minuet and Fugue for string orchestra.  Why Hugo didn't produce more orchestral music is a mystery as he comes across as having a mature grasp of solid, effective orchestration

(BTW - the Suite in five movements for strings and pianoforte is in the "pipeline" - it's a great piece! There is a symphony Op.22 (Kistner, 1892) . I'd love to see that score but sadly, its whereabouts is a mystery. I'd be over-joyed if someone could locate it of course)

The two movements in this rendition, the Concert Overture and Intermezzo Scherzoso, are for full orchestra and I have set them to run together. They date roughly from the same year, 1882. This music is conservative mid-romantic fare BUT very tuneful and appealing.

Concert Overture and Intermezzo Scherzoso

LISTEN:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTa8ieqM3Nw

eschiss1

Reinhold, Hugo, symphony, score. ÖNB. You'll probably have to make some kind of request. They do have a digitized materials section, I wonder if they digitize on request at that (for a fee probably)... (probably the "Anmelden" link will allow at least some people to make some sort of request for the score. Worth a go.)

eschiss1

ÖNB's the only place I can currently find the full score listed. If the duet reduction satisfies, it's available at U. Toronto Library and other places.

eschiss1

Further note : the Library of Congress may once have had, and may still have, the orchestral -parts- to the op.22 symphony, but the "unk" prefix suggests that this entry has not been checked against their current holdings at least. Again, worth asking a LoC librarian; worth checking not just LoC but Austrian Library as well.

Reverie

Many thanks Eric - I can get rooting

Alan Howe

Thanks, as ever, to our ever-productive friend, Reverie, and to Eric for his invaluable researches.