Laura Netzel Piano Concerto

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 02 November 2022, 17:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Thanks, John, for that positive assessment of Netzel's PC - which I think is well deserved (and accurate). For something truly noisy, keep your ear open for Nowowiejski's PC in this thread: https://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,9008.0.html

Ilja

Having listened to this earlier this week (in the throngs of preparing Christmas dinner, it needs to be said) I'm entirely with John (but then, I really like Siegfried Langaard's One and a half piano concertos, so I think Terry and I don't share the same taste). My only - minor - issue with it is that I find it a bit too compact, possibly; a slighly more expansive approach might have benefited the material.

Mark Thomas

Hmmm. I have Lindgren's recording, but it looks like I need to invest in Peter Friis Johansson's new completion.

terry martyn

Bloodied but  unbowed, I stand by my assessment of the performance by Lindgren. But I was profoundly taken by the  painstaking analysis  provided by Mr Johansson in his posts on this thread and have listened to an extract of his, rival,recording. I don't know the extent to which Lindgren modified the manuscript that he had in front of him, but we do know what our new colleague did, and there is a welcoming delicacy of touch about his performance that I found largely absent from the Lindgren.

I have to agree with Mark, and have told Presto that I want to order the Johansson. I think that there may well be more to the work than I first thought.

terry martyn

After what Ilya said, i will also have to get the Langaard and give it a decent chance............

Mark Thomas

Having just listened to the Lindgren followed by the Johansson recording, I much prefer the latter. Johansson's reading is slightly more expansive in the first two movements, which seems to suit both, and the BIS acoustic is to my ears warmer and less crowded than that on Lindgren's account. The clincher however is Johansson's completion of the finale which is more in keeping both in scale and mood with the preceding movements, and makes for a much more satisfying conclusion than the substantially shorter completion employed by Lindgren.