Paul Lacombe: Symphony No.2/etc.

Started by Reverie, Thursday 17 November 2022, 15:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilja

Listening to Lacombe's symphony, I was continually reminded of Rabaud's later E minor symphony (1900) in terms of atmosphere, although I consider that a more ambitious and stronger work. The main theme from the first movement, which returns at the end, is perhaps a bit banale, but it is used well. I find it a charming, far from earth-shattering work that certainly has its moments and thrills. Something similar can be said of both the piano suite and the horn concerto. Perhaps the most striking work on this CD is the unashamedly exhilarating Rhapsody on themes from the Pays d'Oc
From the evidence here, Lacombe shows himself to be an accomplished provincial composer; audibly remote from the musical center, not given to grand statements, but also with talent and charm. 

eschiss1

There's also some other recordings of his music, including one of his 3 piano trios. Anyhow, thanks for the review :)

Alan Howe

There's always room for composers like Lacombe. They may not hit the heights, but they always give pleasure.

Ilja

I agree entirely. This exists in the same realm as, for instance, the Gouvy symphonies. No pompous and grandiose claims to be universe-encompassing, but really good fun.

Alan Howe

Actually, I think Gouvy's a more important figure, but I agree, yes.

Ilja

On the page of Martin Walsh's recreation of the Lacombe symphony, someone berated Martin for taking the trouble to do so and not restricting himself to lengthy Germanic stuff. I am aware that I am praying to the converted here, but that comment exuded exactly the kind of superior mentality that this forum, to me at least, exists to rail against. I really admire the scope of Martin's efforts (and those of Thomas Palojärvi and many others) to unveil the richness of the romantic musical world to us.

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

That comment on Martin's YouTube page was outrageous and so, so patronising. He, Tuomas and the people at MDMusics (many forgotten Dutch symphonies and other orchestral realisations) all deserve a huge vote of thanks from us.

semloh

I agree entirely. Arrogant and patronising, for sure. Of course one can always login and reply to the offending individual! I see that it's a comment from a year ago and has attracted two brief supportive replies.

Ilja

I don't think that second comment was intended to be supportive.

Alan Howe

I should have posted my support earlier. Apologies, Martin.

semloh

Quote from: Ilja on Wednesday 05 June 2024, 08:19I don't think that second comment was intended to be supportive.
That's how I read it, Ilja, but you may be right.