News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Wilms Piano Concertos vol.2

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 17 November 2022, 22:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Ronald Brautigam plays superbly, though. Wonderful articulation and pearlescent runs! (Do I get into Pseuds Corner for that description? ;) )

Mark Thomas

I had the pearlescent runs once, it wasn't pleasant! But seriously, yes, Brautigam is excellent.

Alan Howe

Very nasty!

On further listening, Wilms' E flat concerto turns out only to be superficially Beethovenian; OK, it has obvious copyings, but mostly it's in the more florid tradition of, say, Hummel. In that respect I find it rather schizophrenic. Both the heroic (Beethoven) and florid (Hummel) are present, but what is the work's true identity?

Mark Thomas

Wilms has neither Beethoven's nor even Hummel's originality and his concerto is a celebration of eclecticism, it's a work reflecting the dominant trends in music at the time. That's its identity, to be a mirror. But enjoyable, for all that.

Alan Howe

I'm glad it's been recorded, but the only reason for doing it again would be to have a version with piano.

Mark Thomas

Ilja

For all its shortcomings I'm still glad this is being recorded, not least because Wilms was a very important composer for the development of Dutch music. He introduced a lot of German and central European music to the country, and also wrote the music to the national anthem (Wien Neêrlands Bloed door d'aadren vloeit, van vreemde smetten vrij / "For whom Dutch Blood flows through their veins, free from foreign blemishes") that was in use until 1938. 

terry martyn

I always think that anthem should be played before Belgian concerts begin.  Or perhaps a healthy dose of Litolff's Third?

terry martyn

My inner Jeremy Clarkson is getting the upper hand.............

Alan Howe

I rather think his best music is in his symphonies, e.g. No.7 in C minor (1835):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfWEenkikpw

OK, it's probably rather passé for its date, but there's no 'prettifying' here.

terry martyn

I like that Symphony.   I am not giving up on him.  His works for flute and orchestra stand up pretty well too.