News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Robert Fuchs

Started by petershott@btinternet.com, Tuesday 01 February 2011, 14:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

OK, I've changed my mind! From the excerpts at jpc...

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Robert-Fuchs-Serenaden-f%FCr-Streicher-Nr-1-2-opp-9-14/hnum/3551379

...the new Naxos CD sounds absolutely delightful.

petershott@btinternet.com

A wise man is one who can change their mind!

Alan Howe

I'm known for my musical u-turns! And it's always great to be proved wrong...

eschiss1

I haven't heard it yet (I shall) but I do keep thinking Fuchs had a knack for that. :)

febnyc

Ok, I'll try again - I asked this question on the other thread about Fuchs' Serenades.

It goes like this:  I have the ebs disc of the Serenades Nos. 2&3 and the Andante grazioso.  The timings, as shown on the CD cover are totally at odds with the actual timings of the tracks themselves.  Absolutely out of whack.  I checked with the Naxos CD for the common denominator of the 2nd Serenade - and the ebs and Naxos timings are similar.  So, what the heck is on the ebs disc itself?  Very puzzling.

Can anyone shed any light?

eschiss1

erm. that's odd. also odd about the ebs CD is that I've seen different descriptions of its contents in different places, if memory serves?... all I can suggest is - if this works - going to IMSLP (say) and downloading the scores (full or reduced) of serenades 1-3 and seeing if they do or don't match what you actually hear (assuming sufficient score-reading training.)

(Serenade 1 in full score and arrangement, 5 movements; Serenade 2 in full score(s) and in an arrangement by the composer; Serenade 3 in full score and in an arrangement by the composer. Serenade 4 is there in arrangement also, but I assume you don't hear 2 horns anywhere.  Serenade 1 is in D major, serenade 2 in C major and serenade 3 in E minor so if these -are- the only choices it's presumably easy to tell between them, but of course the works on the CD could be anything...)

-Eric

febnyc

Many thanks, Eric, for your reply. 

I was unable to open the score files, for some reason.

I listened on the JPC site to the track samples from the Naxos CD.  None of them seem to equate to what is on any of the tracks on the ebs disc.  Weird.

However, I did locate the ebs label information (part of the Bayer Music Group) and I sent them a note through their website.  Perhaps they might explain exactly what music they recorded onto this CD.   :-\

Alan Howe

The new Naxos CD is absolutely fabulous in every way - playing at once as fresh as paint and yet also luxuriant when required. I totally withdraw all of my reservations - this is Fuchs at his absolute best. No wonder he was so popular. Fabulous, fabulous...

DennisS

I have just received my Naxos cd of Fuchs' Serenades 1 and 2 and heartily agree with Alan's opinion of the music. It really is delightful and I have played the CD several times already. I was so taken with the two Serenades that I googled Fuchs to find out more about the other Serenades. The only other one I found is No 5 which is coupled with his Piano Concerto, sound bites are available on Jpc.de. Serenade No 5 though is rather different from Serenades 1 and 2. Unfortunately Serenades nos 3 and 4 do not seem to be available commercially. Do any members know these 2 works and if so, are they similar to nos 1 and 2?

eschiss1

no.3 in E minor, op.21 was recorded a few times - on Koch Schwann on LP and CD (nla like the whole label), on Novalis I think (conducted by Furi, Camerata Bern), and perhaps one or two other recordings (apparently not the ebs recording that is advertised as containing it). I believe the 4th serenade op51 in G minor for 2 horns and strings has yet to be recorded commercially. I think I've heard the 3rd serenade once or twice but that's all.  (I'm much more familiar with some other works of Fuchs- have been humming the somber but lyrical and well-called "appassionato" first quartet, approximately contemporary with the 5th serenade, from its MDG recording, regularly for the last few days; especially enjoy the other quartets- especially the 4th - the cello sonatas, to mention just three works. Anyways.)

FBerwald

Any news on the two Symphonies - Symphony in B minor and G minor?

eschiss1

All I know of the B minor symphony is that there was a report of a performance of it; I don't recall (maybe someone will remind me?) seeing mention of any materials in the catalog of the Austrian National Library or anywhere else...

Gareth Vaughan

Try dropping a line to Dt Otto Biba at the Gesellschaft der Muikfreunde, Vienna. He, more than any one else, is likely to know if the 2 early Fuchs symphonies are still extant.

Alan Howe

I imagine this email address might do the trick:
office@a-wgm.com

DennisS

Members who liked the Naxos disc of Fuchs's Serenades 1 and 2 will be pleased to know that Naxos has released a second CD in the series of Serenades 3, 4 and 5 - more of that highly expressive, tuneful, joyous, well-writen and orchestrated music : a pure joy. I can well understand why Fuchs in his time was known as Mister serenade.

Sound bites on : http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Robert-Fuchs-1847-1927-Serenaden-f%FCr-Streicher-Nr-3-5/hnum/2351392