Emilie Mayer: Piano Trio Op.12 in E minor (1861)

Started by gprengel, Thursday 16 February 2023, 12:15

Previous topic - Next topic

gprengel

I am just enjoying this beautiful Piano Trio from 1861 which I never heard before:

I love especially movement 1 - 3 , in particular the slow 3rd movement (together with the score from the IMSPL site)  - pretty much like Mendelssohn ...

Mark Thomas

Thanks for this, Gerd. This trio is not yet available in a commercial recording and is well played here, so it's good to hear. On the whole, as we get more examples of it, I suspect that Mayer's chamber music will have more staying power than her orchestral works and this is another attractive, if not very individual, example of it.

eschiss1

Interesting. I see that 5 of her piano trios have been commercially recorded; this might be the only one not (there's what looks like an error in the Wikipedia listing, with the trio in "E minor" without opus number presumably referring to the "D minor" trio that's been recorded and uploaded to IMSLP (ca.1845-56. Have fixed, unless someone who knows better reverts :) ) Or both might exist, in which case there are 7 trios and 2 haven't been recorded, or more, or...)

BerlinExpat

The trio in "E minor" without opus number listen in Wikipaedia is not an error, so doesn't refer to the "D minor" trio that's been recorded. It's Trio I in e-minor and was broadcast in 1993 in Südwestfunk played by the Clara Wieck-Trio. The movements are i Allegro, ii Adagio, iii Scherzo, Allegro vivace and iv Allegro.
In total there are 8 piano trios of which there are two versions of Trio II. The first is in D minor with the movements i Adagio-Allegro, ii Un poco adagio, iii Scherzo-Vivace with Trio andantino and  iv Finale. The second version is the one recorded by the  Hannover Trio on Genuin.
Apart from the two mentioned above the remaining unrecorded piano trio is one in B major with the movements: i Allegro con moto, ii Scherzo-Allegro, iii Un poco adagio and iv  Allegro.

eschiss1

eschiss1

ah. one in B minor, one in B-flat major uploaded to imslp (not B. if no one confuses "B-dur" and "B major" ever again it will still be too soon.) (The ms has "Finale. Allegro" not that it matters. Looking forward to hearing the trio sometime, anyway.)

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

eschiss1

Piano Trio in E Minor, Op. 12 (1861)
Piano Trio in D Major, Op. 13 (published 1862)
Piano Trio in E♭ Major (ca.1845-55?, premiered 17 June 1855)
Piano Trio in D Minor (ca.1855-6? 2 versions . Premiered March 1856 or so)
Piano Trio in E Minor (ca.1855-61)
Piano Trio in A Minor (ca.1855-61)
Piano Trio in B Minor, Op. 16 (ded. to Loewe, pub.1862)
Piano Trio in B♭ Major (ca.1855-70?)

all 8 are uploaded to imslp, now I look... except for 2 movements of the E minor trio from 1855-61. (The two E-minor trios are not the same work.)

Alan Howe

Has there been any systematic attempt at numbering them? For example, on the recent Genuin recording, the Piano Trio in E flat is described as No.3, whereas the ones in D minor and A minor are unnumbered.

Gareth Vaughan

Also, what differences are there between the two versions of the D minor trio? Are they sufficiently different to be considered two separate works, for example, or is it a question of there being a different movt. in one, or are the differences more minimal?

BerlinExpat

QuoteWhat differences are there between the two versions of the D minor trio?

1) In the first movement the 'Adagio' introduction of the 1st version is missing in the second version.

2) In the second movement the 'Un poco adagio' of the first version has become 'Adagio' but otherewise is identical.

3) In the third movement the 'Scherzo - Vivace' of the first version has become 'Scherzo - Allegro vivace'

The middle of the movement appears to be new in the second version with the 'Minuetto - Andantino' of the first version changing to a 'Trio' in the second version with different notation.

The return of the 'Scherzo' is similar in both versions.

4) The fourth movement is different in the second version.

BerlinExpat

QuoteHas there been any systematic attempt at numbering them?

Almut Runge-Woll made no attempt to number Emilie Mayer's compositions. Two main reasons are likely:

1 Emile Mayer kept no catalogue of her works.

2 Emile Mayer didn't date her manuscripts.

Opus numbers were given by  pubishers. Opp 12, 13 & 16 were published by Challier & Co., Berlin.

Alan Howe

Just as well they've all got different key signatures - unless the one(?) in D minor is actually counted as two works!

eschiss1