Nápravník, Eduard - Symphony No.3 in E minor "Demon" - a digital rendition

Started by taxus_mre, Friday 21 April 2023, 07:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteHave you tried these guys - http://www.napravnikfestival.cz/ - they have a festival of his music (annually?) in the Czech Republic.  If you haven't told them about your rendition of "Demon" you definitely should, I am sure they would be very excited.

They might also know something about the whereabouts of the scores of his other symphonies. Fingers crossed. (Like Mark, I haven't had any luck so far in tracking them down.)

Gareth Vaughan

The only symphony of his listed in Pazdirek is No. 3, so it looks like the others were never published. If they remained in MS, it is possible they are lost (alas!) unless there is a Napravnik archive somewhere which includes his scores.

Mark Thomas

I agree, Gareth. It looks like the other symphonies weren't published.

eschiss1

Christopher

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Monday 24 April 2023, 16:20
QuoteHave you tried these guys - http://www.napravnikfestival.cz/ - they have a festival of his music (annually?) in the Czech Republic.  If you haven't told them about your rendition of "Demon" you definitely should, I am sure they would be very excited.

They might also know something about the whereabouts of the scores of his other symphonies. Fingers crossed. (Like Mark, I haven't had any luck so far in tracking them down.)

Um, isn't that what I was saying?!  ;D

There are numerous Russian archives which are separate from the Russian State Archives. In addition the RSA has different categories of archive - normal, deep, etc etc.  Labyrinthine doesn't describe it.

Gareth Vaughan

Sorry, Christopher - but not in so many words. Perhaps I was being a bit dim; I just thought I'd spell it out! No offence intended.

cypressdome

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 24 April 2023, 17:57Could be in NLR.
This PDF would appear to be an inventory of what manuscripts of Nápravník are in their collection (or at least as of 1960).

4candles

I don't see any symphonies there unfortunately. But my Russian comprehension is very limited.

I'd be interested to see where you got the PDF from Eric. Is there an NLR link?

eschiss1

Christopher

Quote from: cypressdome on Tuesday 25 April 2023, 02:13This PDF would appear to be an inventory of what manuscripts of Nápravník are in their collection (or at least as of 1960).

Not really - as follows:

1. Song of the Nightingale from the opera Don Juan (version for singer plus piano)
2. Excerpt from 4th act of the opera Dubrovsky
3. Dubrovsky - short list of the opera's contents, with biographical notes on the composer
4. A K Tolstoy's book "Don Juan" with notes written in it by Napravnik. Bound.
5. A letter of Napravnik to someone unidentified.
6. A photo of Napravnik with his inscription

Alan Howe

Update: IMSLP has a composition date of 1874 and a publication date of 1882. This rather changes our notions of the works that would have been the major influences upon Napravnik's symphony; by 1874 Tchaikovsky had only written his first two symphonies and none of his major symphonic poems. So what about composers like Rubinstein? Or even Liszt?

Or was Napravnik a more original voice than we had imagined heretofore?