Nielsen Symphony No.2 'The Four Temperaments' (1901-2)

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 24 July 2023, 17:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I hesitate to post about Nielsen's 2nd Symphony because, no doubt, it is familiar to many members and has been recorded many times, so this is just to find out whether it is actually that well-known.

I have long held Nielsen in the highest regard, believing him to be a symphonist of the first order; however, Symphony No.2 has remained for me relatively unfamiliar - until now. It has been my purchase of Fabio Luisi's marvellous new set of the symphonies on DG that has really made me appreciate it - and in particular its searing slow movement (Andante malincolico) - for the first time. I haven't been knocked that far sideways (musically speaking!) in a long time.

Anyone else feel this way?

Gareth Vaughan

Absolutely, Alan. Nielsen is a superb symphonist and Symphony No. 2 was my introduction to him (many, many years ago). I have not, however, heard the Fabio Luisi set. I have Blomstedt with the Danish Radio SO.

Mark Thomas

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I have never got around to getting to know Nielsen's symphonies. Very much my loss, I'm sure, but one easily remedied.

Alan Howe

Many moons ago I possessed Ole Schmidt's pioneering set on LP, but at some point I must have lost my interest in the music. I've always been extremely fond of No.1 and No.4, but the others have largely passed me by despite the fact that I own more than one complete set. So when Luisi's new set was advertised and well reviewed I thought I'd buy it - and it turns out to be very good indeed (and very loud, so watch the volume control!) And that's why I posted on Symphony No.2...

Remember, though, that Nielsen's not a sentimental composer. In many ways he's the polar opposite of Mahler, but  he too will grab you, if you let him - and even if you don't, because he'll take you completely by surprise.

John Boyer

Nielsen is indeed wonderful (I have the Schønwandt/Danish National Radio set from DaCapo) but I really think he's too well known for this board. Granted, not a household name, but he sort of has that same degree of stature as Vaughan Williams.  There's a Columbia/Sony set of Ormandy conducting 1 & 6, with Bernstein tackling 2 through 5.  It doesn't get more mainstream than that. 

semloh

Quote from: Alan Howe on Monday 24 July 2023, 22:23Many moons ago I possessed Ole Schmidt's pioneering set on LP, but at some point I must have lost my interest in the music. I've always been extremely fond of No.1 and No.4, but the others have largely passed me by

That precisely describes my own situation, Alan. I soon deserted them in favour of his clarinet concerto, courtesy of yet another Turnabout LP, the opening theme of which I probably hum on and off everyday without thinking. The 2nd and 3rd symphonies certainly deserve more attention than they receive.

Alan Howe

QuoteThere's a Columbia/Sony set of Ormandy conducting 1 & 6, with Bernstein tackling 2 through 5.  It doesn't get more mainstream than that.

Recorded 60-ish years ago! And in the case of No.2, not particularly well (not a patch on Luisi or Oramo). But I absolutely take your point - although it occurs to me that a lot of what we regard today as neglected repertoire was conducted by great conductors back in the day, e.g. Martucci (Symphony No.1) by Toscanini:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZDxDKqDN1o   

I still think No.2 exists on the periphery of the repertoire...

John Boyer

Quote from: Alan Howe on Thursday 27 July 2023, 09:21Recorded 60-ish years ago! And in the case of No.2, not particularly well (not a patch on Luisi). But I absolutely take your point - although it occurs to me that a lot of what we regard today as neglected repertoire was conducted by great conductors back in the day

Thanks for reminding me that I am "of a certain age"!

But one of the interesting things about being of a certain age is that you have lived long enough to see cycles in the repertory. For example, it seems to me that that Franck and Sibelius are programmed less than they were in the late 70s.  Still played, mind you, but not to the degree that they once were. I think the same is true of Saint-Saens, whose fourth concerto used to be a staple but which seems now to be more of a rarity.

However, your discussion about Nielsen's "Four Temperaments" has got me starting through the entire cycle with great enjoyment!
---
Addendum: Sixty years, now that I think on it, is really a different world. Consider the year 1880, when Raff was one of the Titans of the concert hall.  Sixty years later is 1940: Who is Joachim Raff?

eschiss1

I first heard a Nielsen symphony- 4, though, probably- on college radio, as I recall, only 36-odd years ago. (I still remember that evening remarking to someone else in the building my surprise how much I'd liked it. I'd heard "Helios" at Tanglewood the preceding summer but apparently forgotten it...)

Alan Howe

It was Martinon's incendiary Chicago recording of No.4 that did it for me.

John is right, I'm sure. Changing fashions and all that. I put it down to the over-production of Mahler and Bruckner performances and recordings. Of course, Nielsen's a much thornier composer than either.

Wheesht

I remember going to a concert in Bern about 30 years ago specifically because a Nielsen symphony was part of the programme. I believe it was No. 2 but I've forgotten who the conductor was (and if the Bern SO or another orchestra played). What I do remember is that I had a cheap seat with poor visibility but was able to change to a better one after the intermission when quite a few people had left who obviously weren't prepared to listen to a work by a composer very rarely played in Bern (or Switzerland?) and thus a possible unknown... I have also forgotten, unfortunately, what works were played in the first half of that concert when the hall was quite full.

Pyramus

I first came across Nielsen in the 1960s when a teenager, thanks to Antony Hopkins' Radio 3* series "Talking about music", in which he discussed the first symphony. At the time I don't think he was very often played except I suppose in Denmark. Later I heard symphonies 3 and 5 at the Colston Hall (as it was then called) in Bristol. I've played timps in 4 (and Helios Overture) but have only heard 1, 2 and 6 in recordings, plus the concertos and some of the chamber music.

*the Third Programme then!

eschiss1

A friend sent me a 3-CD set from Danacord's Historic set (the 6th of the 6 sets) with possibly the earliest recordings of the 2nd and 5th symphonies, many early recordings of his songs, and some other works- quite a treasure (some of his songs, especially, go from charming to subtle, imho...- the early Op.10 set is a favorite with some very good lyrics, some of which contain internal rhymes that Nielsen makes good use of. Years after first hearing them and more attuned to internal rhymes after getting even more into Sondheim, I appreciate this even more :D )