News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Marschner trios

Started by eschiss1, Saturday 27 August 2011, 05:01

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

I see at classicsonline.com a "new" recording- a reissue from awhile back- on Symposium of the Rubbra and Semino Trios playing two piano trios (nos. 4 and 7) by Heinrich Marschner. We only have no. 3 at IMSLP- I don't think I knew he wrote 7... (so they're probably not the very deepest things ever written- I think I'm beginning to enjoy Reissiger trios- well, the one movement I've heard from one- etc., etc. ...- I expect I'll enjoy hearing these when Radio Stephansdom or some other station broadcasts them or even if I have a chance to buy them. Anyhow, I think- nice!

Oh, and I see cpo already has recorded trios 2 and 5 and I had quite forgotten... all to the good. And I'm not going to complain about the availability of a recording by the Rubbra trio; in addition to being in my honest opinion a really good composer, what little I've heard of his solo and ensemble playing was sensitive and good to hear.

JimL

I'm glad that Marschner composed more than stage works, even if there don't seem to be any orchestral works larger than overtures, at least that I can see.

Mark Thomas

I bought the Symposium CD years ago in a remainder bin at the late lamented Tower Records outlet on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood. The trios, and the pair recently issued by cpo are pretty much what you'd expect from a journeyman composer of the era: solidly if unimaginatively put together, melodious and pleasant, but unchallenging. It's hard to imagine what the chamber music equivalent of the Gothic thrills of Der Vampyr and Hans Heiling would be, but these four trios aren't it!

Alan Howe

A welcome dose of reality, Mark. Marschner's real talent lies in opera - he's a very important figure in the transition from, say, Weber, to Wagner.

jerfilm

This strikes me as funny - I hope others find it just as screwy.

I went to ClassicsOnline thinking perhaps I'd download only the 4th Trio - I have #7 already.  But there's a little note there mumbling something about copyrights and saying its not available in my country.

One wouldn't think too much of it except, just for fun, I went into Amazon.com and behold, there is the old CD - same cover apparently and it's for sale.....right here in the old US of A......Aren't we glad our laws are so uniform and easily interpreted and our politicians so brilliant?

While I'm at it pontificating, one other peeve of mine and that's this business of pricing "tracks" of a Cd individually.   If it had been available I could have purchased half the album for slightly more than the price of the whole thing!  Wow, what a bargain!   OK, if you don't want to sell individual tracks or works, why pretend that you are offering them?  Who in their right mind wouldn't just download the whole album and at worst, delete the duplicate??  People must think we're vacuous.....

Jerry