Bossi Violin Sonatas upcoming from Naxos

Started by eschiss1, Saturday 18 May 2024, 03:27

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

In July 2024, according to Presto, a disc of Enrico Bossi's 2 violin sonatas performed by Emmanuele Baldini and Luca Delle Donne will be issued on Naxos. (I know offhand of only one other recording of these two works together.)

Alan Howe

Thanks for the heads-up, Eric. Very helpful.

Alan Howe

There's also a recording on Da Vinci Classics featuring violinist Paolo Ghidoni, which I have. The idiom could be described as 'Brahms plus', but nothing like as chromatic as, say Reger. The opening movement of No.1. for example, is a passionate outpouring - really rather striking and memorable. The two sonatas date from 1893 and 1899 respectively.

If you don't know Bossi, he's definitely worthy of your attention. These are both very fine, moving works which should be in the standard repertoire.

eschiss1

I'm not sure I was aware of that one. There is a 1992 CD with Gianluca Turconi, violin and Marco Sala pianist on the Ducale label (listed by Worldcat and still offered by Amazon at least as a pricey CD. Amazon also already offers the Naxos digitally.) I now see the Records International listing from 2020 for the recording you mention, though.
(The only -other- recording I find is an organ arrangement, not by the composer, of one of the sonatas in the Tactus Bossi opera omnia for organ.)

Alan Howe

I have a particularly fondness for violin concertos and sonatas because of the 'singing' quality of the instrument. These two Bossi sonatas are both beautiful and individual. I hope that the Naxos release will afford them a wider audience, though I have a feeling that the Da Vinci recording may be superior in terms of energy and overall execution.