Goetz Piano Concerto No.2

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 02 October 2018, 12:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

...comes in a new recording on Solo Musica with Swiss-Hungarian pianist Andrea Kauten and the excellent Savaria Symphony Orchestra of Szombathely (in western Hungary), conducted by Adam Medvecki. It's actually part of a 2-CD set, coupled with Brahms PC1:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Goetz-Brahms-Klavierkonzerte-Orchestra-Medveczky/dp/B07DXSKB3F/ref=sr_1_11?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1538479766&sr=1-11&keywords=goetz

The wonderfully lyrical and melodically memorable Goetz - one of my favourite unsung PCs - is given an expansive performance running to 42:19 in superlative sound. This will undoubtedly be one of my CDs of the year!

Alan Howe

It's good to revisit recordings that made an impression on first hearing some years back. This is one of those CDs that remains a favourite of mine - yes, it's expensive (the Goetz PC2 being coupled on a 2-CD release with Brahms' PC1), but the Goetz is given such a warm, expansive performance that it's hard to resist. And it sounds like a major contribution to the repertoire in this recording. George Bernard Shaw championed Goetz's music - no doubt his was an eccentric choice, but it's hard not to agree...

Wheesht

Thanks for the heads up. Yesterday, I received my order of the disc 'Hommage Pianistique à Berlioz' that I mentioned elsewhere on UC, to which I had added the Goetz-Brahms double CD, at just 7 Euros from Dom-Forlane.