Noskowski Symphony No.2 'Elegiac'

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 31 May 2024, 17:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Just out on Dux, coupled with Henryk Wieniawski's VC1:
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9599182--polish-romantic-works

..and I've got to say that this is easily the most exciting version of Noskowski's 'Elegiac' Symphony that I've heard. The playing of the Arthur Rubinstein Łódź Philharmonic (Łódź is in central Poland) under conductor Paweł Przytocki is fiery, disciplined - just what this relatively concise but incident-packed symphony requires.

I reckon that some of the most stunning recordings of unsung music are coming out of Poland these days. The orchestra involved here may not be the most tonally glamorous, but they simply give all they've got in the service of their compatriot's fine score.

This is just fabulous. Its magnificence has knocked me sideways this afternoon...

ken

How does this recording compare with the Sterling release of the Symphony No. 2?

NOSKOWSKI – Symphony No. 2 / Commemorative Sounds / Variations On An Original Theme – Polish Radio Orchestra – Lukasz Borowicz (Sterling)

Alan Howe

It's more trenchant throughout, though less refined. The Sterling is very fine, but the new Dux is more exciting.

Alan Howe

This will undoubtedly be one of my recordings of the year. The downside is the coupling which is inappropriate, but frankly the performance of the Symphony is worth the price of the CD alone. And there's always the option of buying the download which, at £6.72 is a snip!
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9599182--polish-romantic-works

Ilja

Quote from: Alan Howe on Friday 31 May 2024, 20:18It's more trenchant throughout, though less refined. The Sterling is very fine, but the new Dux is more exciting.
Quicker, also; it shaves about two and a half minutes off Borowicz's recording, which is most notable in the Andante. In addition, the new recording is noticeably less reverberant and more direct, which I prefer. 

Alan Howe

That's a good summary, Ilja. It's the sort of recording that elevates an unsung work to the status of a minor masterpiece.

Mark Thomas

I wasn't going to duplicate Borowicz's recording but I can only echo what Alan and Ilja have posted about this new recording. Przytocki's brisker approach and the greater dynamic contrast of the recording really lift the piece in comparison with the Sterling recording. It just sounds a much stronger, more worthwhile work.