Václav Jindřich/Wenzel Heinrich Veit: Symphony in E minor, etc.

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 26 February 2022, 09:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

For a year now Presto haven't listed this CD for sale. The shame is the Veit's fine Symphony is handicapped by being coupled with music that isn't by him at all.

Also: the label makes no mention of the 'problem piece' - if it ever did:
https://www.nibiru-publishers.com/en/detail/romantic-testimony/#tab-content1

terry martyn

Totally agree,Alan.   The Symphony is well worth repeated hearing, but the label has shot itself in the foot.

Mark Thomas

Listening again to Veit's Symphony I was struck by two things. Firstly, what an enjoyable piece it is. Nothing too revolutionary for the 1830s or 40s maybe, but with memorable material that's used intelligently and with quite a few diverting passages to maintain one's interest. Secondly how tin-eared must those responsible for the CD be, not to have recognised the stylistic gulf between it and the two movements from Joachim's concerto, which so clearly come from a later generation? Good though it is, they might be forgiven not knowing the Hungarian Concerto as it's hardly mainstream repertoire but, on the evidence of the Symphony and Overture, to not realise that Veit is most unlikely to have composed those two movements really does beggar belief.

terry martyn

I revisited the accomplished Veit Symphony yesterday, and was minded to check on YouTube to see if Alan's corrective note had inspired a thread. The reply, from the perpetrators,has so far gone unchallenged. It is very lengthy, and, in the words of Sir John Moore,when complaining about Admiral Sir Sidney Smith, "very impudent".

Alan Howe

They know they're wrong, Terry. We found them out, as we did Hans Franke!

terry martyn

I rather enjoyed Gareth's riposte on that thread.  It pulled no punches!

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

Well, I was incensed when I read such vacuous tripe! Joachim didn't need Veit to write his concertos for him, quite apart from the fact that the idiom is completely different from that of Veit's symphony - as everyone who hears the disk remarks (except, apparently, the artists who produced it - really?!!).

Alan Howe

It's truly beyond belief, Gareth. They've made a big mistake, but aren't big enough to admit it.

Gareth Vaughan