Fuchs, Robitschek, and contracts

Started by eschiss1, Monday 28 February 2011, 06:54

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Putting together a list for IMSLP of works published by Adolf Robitschek and its earlier incarnation Rebay & Robitschek, I notice how very many works by Robert Fuchs in the later years of his career that organization (distinguing it from the person who gave it his name, btw) published.  I am wondering at the consequences, as for Dvorak and Brahms with their associations with Simrock etc. - did Robitschek pressure Fuchs to produce certain kinds of music since he was becoming their headline composer (it seems?) ( A search at HMB - for the last years of the 19th century - seems to confirm my working hypothesis.   Rebay & Robitschek published quite a few works by other composers - Perger and others, a few little-known, most entirely or just next to entirely unknown, I think, and that in itself produces some curiosity in some cases, for me anyhow, some more people to look into... anyway... ) - but yes, a HMB search on 'Robitschek' seems to mostly confirm that the later years of the 19th century had very many works by Robert Fuchs proportionately, a few works by others but not very many of them.

(As very much a fan of Fuchs, I don't mind. He hasn't received much biographical attention - a couple of German biographical dissertations, never translated into English, is about as thorough as his life and music has gotten explored so far, I gather, and I really can't read German and haven't seen those dissertations yet - but it suggests a question to study, if someone were ever to want to... Of course, if Robitschek pressured Fuchs into writing many of the fantasy-pieces and waltzes (or some other groups) that run through his output, it's hard to prove it; most of his contemporaries have such sets also, and Fuchs' output, compared to that of many though of course not all or even the better-known of theirs' by the number of larger-scale efforts - the 6 violin sonatas, the piano trios, quartets, clarinet quintet, string quartets (whether four or five - see an earlier thread raising a question on that subject), etc. etc. ... - which Robitschek seemed to have no problem publishing- though one guesses at that, until one sees their correspondence, if one ever does :)

Pardon babble. Don't know if those thoughts go anywhere interesting...