Main Menu

A present from Walter Zielke

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 24 July 2024, 10:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

...consisting of a number of computer realisations of unsung music:
https://soundcloud.com/harmo-nium

Ilja

The Woyrsch symphony sounds very interesting, and more of a a early Brahms/Beethoven mix than I would have expected. To be honest, apart from its energy it didn't sound like the typical "student" work at all, and I hope Mr. Zielke will give us the final two movements (if they exist). I assumed that the work had been lost, but now that it apparently isn't I was wondering whether the cpo disc with "Symphonies 1 & 6" that the Pfohl-Woyrsch-Stiftung announced was of this work and not the C minor (op. 52) that has already been recorded by Miguel Gomez. Although that would've turned Symphony No. 6 into No. 7. I guess we can only wait.

hector9

The mix is ��good and the sound is quite good. I like the energy from that. Thank you for sharing

Alan Howe

I agree with Ilja: the first two movements of Woyrsch's B flat minor Symphony are a very powerful statement in a post-Brahmsian style. Wikipedia describes this early work as 'Symphony in B flat minor, "Study Symphony" (1884)'. I say 'post-Brahmsian', although the work was composed around the same time as Brahms was writing his 3rd and 4th Symphonies. Wikipedia also indicates a friendship with the older composer. Interesting...

IMSLP has this entry in their list of Woyrsch's compositions: Sinfonie in B-flat (1884/1899), Ms.