News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Schmidt G major Piano Quintet arr.

Started by eschiss1, Friday 26 July 2024, 16:30

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Finally reading this beautiful, very Romantic work (from 1926?) with a borrowed copy of the score. It's nice to confirm there is a repeat in the first movement, which the Vienna Philharmonic Quintet recording at 3:18 does not take. (I vaguely recall some other recordings do, but wasn't sure enough. Will go through score with them too for myself...)
Lovely piece - as are his other mature chamber works with and without piano- for those as don't know it (I'm still not as familiar with the B-flat clarinet quintet.)

(arr. refers to the fact that the piano part was originally for left hand only; in the still most often played arrangement, made by Friedrich Wührer "art the composer's request", it's scored for usual piano quintet, some of the new piano writing being taken from the strings. That's what I have in front of me and in my ears.)

John Boyer

What makes you say that Wührer's arrangement is most often played?

eschiss1

I might be wrong about its being most often played now. Both versions are still in copyright everywhere (presumptive US copyright since one was published in 1954 and the other far more recently; presumptive world copyright for the arrangement because Wührer died in 1975 and his arrangements will be in c in CA and most everywhere until 2045 just because of that), far as I know, so if their current c-holders are keeping track, it may be possible to find out.

eschiss1

Edition Silvertrust has reprinted a different arrangement, I see.

John Boyer

Perhaps I misunderstood.  I thought you meant the Wührer was played more often than the original, but now I see you meant in comparison to other arrangements.   

eschiss1

No, that is what I meant, I was unaware of the other arrangements at the time. I should not have said so without evidence or checking, of course...

eschiss1

Weinberger, the publisher of the Friedrich Wührer arrangement, is still a going concern - out of London now (rather than or as well as Vienna) - and still publishes several Schmidt works, including his quintets  - see this page though unlike the corresponding page at some publishers the page does not list recent performances. They also publish the original version for left hand (actually, looking back, I see that the 2010 first edition (first _in its original piano-left-hand form_, I mean) of the A major clarinet quintet I'd borrowed and had a look at -was- also published by Weinberger, I'd just forgotten that fact...)

The Franz Schmidt Project's upcoming performances lists symphonies (which I or someone might move to 2024 or 2025 unsung concerts- er, never mind, their most recent "upcoming performance" is in February a few months ago... :) - he's not that sung yet, certainly?) but not yet, at the moment, chamber music. Hrm.
Will keep looking for a bit at least...

eschiss1

Shoshana Telner is playing this quintet in London, Ontario, April 17 2025 according to her concert calendar, but she doesn't specify which version... (I suppose I'll ask!)