Name that tune – Kinloch Castle Orchestrion ( around 1900)

Started by Wheesht, Tuesday 23 July 2024, 09:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

At least some of the tunes on the orchestrion rolls at Kinloch Castle on the Isle of Rum in the Inner Hebrides may be by unsung composers. Nine recordings were made of the Imhof & Mukle Orchestrion (built around 1900) in 1971, but the tunes were not identified at the time. Any help is much appreciated. More recently, photographs of some rolls were taken, so it may be partly just a question of matching a roll to a recording.

Ilja

Number 2 is quite clearly from Bizet's Carmen. I forget which bit, but it was later popularized in the adaptation by Oscar Hammerstein II's Carmen Jones, "Beat out Dat Rhythm on a Drum". My guess is that's the version here, too.

Alan Howe

No.1 is the Toreador's Song (sung by Escamillo) from Bizet's Carmen.

TerraEpon

#4 sounds familiar, but it might just have that sort of sound.
#6 as well.
#7 I absolutely recognize but it escapes me.
#9 sounds like it could be Wagner. But not sure what.

#1, 2 and 3 are all from Carmen as noted above, I'm guessing it's a medley that was broken up as they all contain multiple sections from it.

cypressdome

No.9 is a selection from the ballet Coppélia by Léo Delibes.  The big tune starts around 4:30.

Revilod

No 4 is "Cavalleria Rusticana" medley
No 8 is "The Pirates of Penzance" medley

TerraEpon

Quote from: Revilod on Thursday 25 July 2024, 17:58No 8 is "The Pirates of Penzance" medley

It's actually a medley of both Pirates and Pinafore, and the tunes are listed on the side.

Wheesht

There have also been comments from outside this forum since I placed my post here.

Thanks a lot for all your contributions.

Two less familiar names that I can make out on the photographs of some of the rolls are Balfe (Overture to The Bohemian Girl) and V. Wallace (Overture to Maritana), but I don't know if they were recorded.

TerraEpon

I actually would really like to know what #7 is myself...

EDIT: Listening to the whole thing it seems to be a medley as well and I don't recognize or only vaguely recognize most of it.

Wheesht

Only one answer about no. 7 has come in via the Topotheque:
QuoteFirst tune is "Les fauvettes"
Not a tune I'm familiar with, though.