News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Wilms Symphony No.6/Overtures

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 10 August 2024, 17:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

eschiss1

After the Challenge Classics and Archiv recordings this might be the 3rd (at least- there might also be one on an obscure Dutch label together with all of the other symphonies, not sure?) recording of Op.52- not complaining in the slightest, I hardly think 3 recordings of good works is overrecording...

Alan Howe

This release is far less rigidly HIP, though, than the performance on DG/Archiv, so there's room for it, stylistically. The orchestra here is also larger than the one on Challenge Classics.

I know which I like best. Back to that debate...

eschiss1

There do exist symphonies, even from around that time, which have been recorded more than 3 times, so again, not complaining, personally at least. Hope they consider doing the ones they haven't done yet - that's three so far now?...

Ilja

This is a very welcome release with works from one of the most important Dutch (well, German-Dutch) composers of the early 19th century. I spent this morning comparing the symphony to the older Erhard recording, and to me it's a clear improvement, both in interpretation and (most notably) sonics. The overtures are, to my knowledge, all first recordings (Howard Griffiths recorded the D major overture for cpo earlier).

Also, the recording is already available on Presto Streaming and Spotify.

Alan Howe

This is a fine recording, very well played by an excellent orchestra and stunningly recorded. There is clear HIP influence in the string-playing, but they phrase beautifully. I count 46 players in all in the booklet photograph, making this, I suppose, a large chamber orchestra. Overall, a very impressive release.

The Symphony was composed in 1819; Beethoven is clearly 'in the mix', but this is a really strong work in its own right.

A wicked thought crosses my mind: this band would surely have made a fine job of Dietrich's Symphony...