News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Zemlinsky Sarema

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 05 December 2020, 11:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

eschiss1

According to Beaumont, composed February-June 1894, orchestrated 1895, entered into the same competition as Thuille's Theuerdank, Könnemann's tolle Eberstein (tied for first), Sarema and Lederer's Hiob tying for 3rd place- the vote for 3rd place going to Zemlinsky on the 2nd ballot (Beaumont).  All 3 scores winning the competition were performed in Munich between 1897-8, and Sarema was given in Leipzig in 1899-- then next performed in the 1990s or so ("slumbered for nearly a century in the archives of the Bavarian State Library before being heard again" - Beaumont, p.40.)

Maury

I devoutly wish Sarema could be recorded by someone else as I find the only recording rather unlistenable despite liking the music very much. As Beaumont noted the melodic line is more Slavic and even Tchaikovskian than mature Zemlinsky. I can well understand the tumultuous performance reaction by the premiere audience to this work sung by a first rank singer Milka Ternina. If I may be so bold it would have been a better model for his operatic oeuvre than the rather over thought German fables that served for his early subsequent librettos. As it stands, besides Sarema I only have strong feelings about the two one acters, Der Zwerg and Eine  Florintische Tragoedie, plus Der Koenig Kandaules. The rest I like and would go see but rarely listen to as they have more sedate dramatic impetus. Kleider Machen Leute I must admit though is  a notably above average German comedy, of which there are very few.  :)

Alan Howe

This is very early Zemlinsky, of course - and you can here a multiplicity of inflences: Wagner, Dvorak, etc. One commentator has even suggested Goldmark!

Whether Sarema is really worthy of a second recording is, in my view, doubtful. With not one of Draeseke's operas (for example) having been recorded, I'd hardly rate it a priority. And, to be honest, the music's pretty dull. But members can judge for themselves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4003pobuAg

Maury

I don't want to go off on a Draeseke tangent here in a Sarema thread but I am decidedly not a fan of his symphonies and piano concerto. Given the lack of recordings are people perusing scores of his operas? Are his operas stylistically different than his orchestral music?

As for Sarema, obviously a later thorough revision by Zemlinsky would have been very useful. I just felt that he tapped into a melodic line that would have been interesting for him to work at and develop.

Alan Howe

I was simply making the point that there are other operas by unsung composers which remain unrecorded. I have no real idea what Draeseke's operas are like, but then nobody does. We don't need another recording of Sarema - IMHO, of course.

Correction: we do, of course, have the superb Overture to Draeseke's opera 'Gudrun':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox9t1wyKSJA

eschiss1

We also have a twice-recorded Scene for violin and piano based on a melody from his opera Bertran de Born. (And sounding not a little like his violin concerto in detail besides.)

Alan Howe

Good to know you're on the ball, Eric! Many thanks.