Another Raff opera to be recorded

Started by Mark Thomas, Tuesday 27 August 2024, 18:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

A fourth Raff opera, Dame Kobold, is due to be recorded in October, for release on a major label probably late next year. It's a comedy, based on Calderón's famous farce La Dama Duende and was his most successful foray into the medium, enjoying a respectable run when it was staged in Weimar in 1870. Of Raff's six operas, Benedetto Marcello has been available for a few years, Samson was released earlier this year and Die Eifersüchtigen comes out next next month, so the arrival of Dame Kobold on the shelves next year will leave only König Alfred and Die Parole to be recorded. Who'd ever have thought it?

Alan Howe

Quite so. Amazing.

I really want to hear König Alfred, though...

Maury

Looking forward to this. I am not usually a big listener to overtures but Raff's Dame Kobold overture (Jarvi) is quite delightful. Any word on the projected cast?

Mark Thomas

Yes, but not that I can share in any detail at present I'm afraid: the studio recording will feature a Czech orchestra and the principals are all well-regarded German soloists in the early years of their careers. The conductor is a familiar name who has made many recordings in recent years for the label. I'll be going to the sessions and I hope to be able to share more after that.

Maury

Thanks for the update. And I hope things turn out well.

John Boyer

Quote from: Alan Howe on Tuesday 27 August 2024, 19:15Quite so. Amazing.

I really want to hear König Alfred, though...

On page 19 of the booklet for the new Naxos recording of Die Eifersüchtigen, there is a little promo for the Edition Nordstern series of Raff operas.   Of the four available (Die Eifersüchtigen, Bendetto Marcello, Dame Kobold, Samson) three have been recorded and the other is on the way. Listed in preparation are Die Parole, Dornröschen (a fairytale oratorio), and König Alfred.  Dare we hope as these become available recordings may follow? A few years ago the idea would have seemed implausible.  Now, anything seems possible. 

Mark Thomas

To the best of my knowledge, there are no definite plans to record any of those three works in the near future. That said, if we are lucky enough to see another recording of a major vocal work eventually, my money would be on Dornröschen (Sleeping Beauty). It was written around the same time as Samson and was lavishly praised by Liszt and other contemporaries for its innovation and beauty.