Rare Italian piano concertos (Hyperion)

Started by Rob H, Saturday 31 August 2024, 21:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob H

1 am rather intrigued by mention of an upcoming Hyperion disc of rare Italian piano concertos (in their latest email). Roberto Prosseda piano, Niro Kabaretti conducting the LPO. Does anyone gave any more info? I am hoping at least for one of the Pick-Mangiagalli concertos or Sortilegi - but not holding my breath.

John Boyer

Intriguing!  I could find no information about the project at Mr. Prosseda's website.  Indeed, he has not updated the news section in two years.

There are pages dedicated to his playing of the Italian repertory, but nothing about what the new disc might contain.

Alan Howe

Yes, I spotted this too, but haven't been able to find out any more about the project.

Gareth Vaughan

Look up Nir Kabaretti on the audience access pages of the Colorado Springs Philharmonic and you will find a reference to a recording made in 2022 with Roberto Prosseda of "four Italian piano concertos of the 20th century". So the music might not fit this forum. However, I have been unable to find any more detailed info.

pianoconcerto

semloh

The piano concerto by Bartolucci would be a possibility, as he writes in a fine neoromantic style. The other composers listed at Prosseda's site are either familiar to us or (as far as I can tell) fall outside UC's remit.

4candles

This is highly unlikely to be the case in the thread being discussed here, but I would like to see the piano concertos of the Fumagalli brothers recorded. From memory only Adolfo and Disma composed piano concertos, but I may be wrong. I'm aware they are likely to be showpieces rather than betraying anything more serious, but the Fumagallis were important Italian musicians of the time and it would be interesting to hear something more large scale from them, other than their salon works.

Gareth Vaughan

However, since it is known that Roberto Prosseda has an interest in piano concertos by Italian composers one could always write to him suggesting repertoire.

Wheesht

The concerto by Michele Eulambio, of the score of which I hope to take photographs tomorrow, may be another candidate for him, then.

pianoconcerto

Since "4candles" mentioned the Fumagallis, there's a nice performance of Disma Fumagalli's Concerto, Op. 108 on YouTube played by Orazio Sciortino (pf, cond.) and the Cameristi della Scala (11 Nov. 2011):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yVy3RqrTY

I suspect Prosseda's new CD might include Guido Alberto Fano's Andante e Allegro con fuoco (1900) since he performed that with the Israel Sinfonietta Beer Sheva under Nir Kabaretti on 29 Oct. 2022.

Gareth Vaughan

Before I start looking in earnest, does anyone know if Adolfo's PC survives?
Prosseda might, of course.

4candles

It does indeed, Gareth. In fact it has been digitized (all parts) by the Library of the Giuseppe Verdi Conservatory of Music in Milan. Here's a direct link.

4c

4candles

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Wednesday 04 September 2024, 15:11... Roberto Prosseda has an interest in piano concertos by Italian composers one could always write to him suggesting repertoire.
Very true!

Gareth Vaughan

Thanks very much for that link. I am most grateful.